Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ric and Karissa's hunting journal for the 2016-2017 season

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great looking view Ric! I can't wait to get out in the woods. Nice shooting too. You've gotta love when your bow is dialed in like that!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great looking view Ric! I can't wait to get out in the woods. Nice shooting too. You've gotta love when your bow is dialed in like that!!

Yeah, my bows have always been pretty well tuned but this year after they put on a new string and retuned it they got it near perfect! Sure helps your confidence!

Thanks guys! Looking forward to gettin out some tomorrow! Might have to go in the morning!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I couldn't stand it and had to go hang and sit a stand tonight with this NNE wind we had here tonight. It's actually the stand I whiffed on a chip shot at my #1 target buck in 2011 I named Bonehead. I was set up and ready to hunt st 6 and climbed down at 7:30. Only saw a momma coon and two small ones and a few squirrels tonight. Better get my stats started before I get too far into my hunting season. Lol

Here are a few pics of tonight's hunt

Looking to the N at the oak flat with a light breeze in my face and right cheek

Me with my Sony Handy cam

Deer Sightings 0
Buck Sightings 0
Doe's and other deer Sightings 0
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 0

Number of sits 2
Hours hunted 4

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I love it! Your stats have to be pure crap to insure you kill a slob! Keep up the good work buddy!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I love it! Your stats have to be pure crap to insure you kill a slob! Keep up the good work buddy!!!

HAHAHAHA, thanks buddy!!! I haven't even started whining yet! Lol

Even though I haven't caught any shooters on cam all year a buddy told me yesterday that he saw a dandy 150-160 caliber deer not too far(1/2 mile) from the farm I hunt. Unfortunately he was crossing the highway around 9ish last night heading away from where I hunt. That's prolly his home core over there I reckon. :smiley_blackeye:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lmao Jesse!

Karissa wanted to shoot from a tree stand this weekend and get used to standing,drawing and shooting while maintaining her balance while hitting her mark. I was impressed with her request and also wanted her to learn how to use the range finders and how to aim taking the angle in consideration.

We both can't wait to hunt but since she was under the weather some this weekend we felt these added practice sessions were also needed before heading out for our first hunt anyway so last night.....we had a blast! It even rained on us a little!

Here are some pics of our afternoon yesterday! This was behind her papaws and we will hunt it closer to rut and when we're pressed for time.

Her accent to her perch

Her first attempt at 19 yards slightly quartered

I told her here she needs to bend more at the waist

These two shots were from 25 yards broadside

This shot nice quartering away angle at distance of 23 yards

Now she had some less than perfect shots as well but we got that corrected. She was hitting to the left about 4-5 inches to the left and low left but I'm proud how she schooled those shots and corrected it on her own. She noticed she was hitting her bow arm forearm when she hit left. She went back to basics and corrected her form and put them right back in the center again!

To say this practice session was needed and beneficial would be an understatement!

Gordo

Athens County
Hell yeah ric. You two aren't messing around. That girl is turning into a straight up assassin.

I'm looking forward to reading the IKS thread once everything aligns. Shouldn't be long! Good luck

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I met Karissa. Seems like a real good kid. Think she would head to Lima to give me some pointers? That girl has her bow shooting stuff together!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Awesome stuff Ric! I love seeing you and Karissa getting some practice in together. She's got determination that's for sure!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
She looks dialed in buddy! Is there a certain size buck she is hoping to shoot with the bow or just any buck to get her first with a bow?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys!

Chad, I don't really know? It has always and will be up to her but this year since she won't have near as much time to hunt maybe she won't be so picky. I know she wants to hopefully get a crack at a mature deer at least 3 years of age but we'll see I guess.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just updating our journal today as I hunted for my first morning hunt on Friday and want to get the info updated and add this little video clip from when I had Karissa shooting from the tree stand behind her grandpas place. The yardage was 28 yards.