Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Digiscoping.. AKA: Long range scouting and picture taking

Just 1 More

How I spend some of my evenings.. I scout fields for deer and then use the spotting scope and then set up for pics.. Have not had the opportunity to use this new set up on deer yet but just to give you an idea,
this is my set up and a hay wagon @ 200 yards

Just 1 More

Spotting Scope at Kames sporting goods $549
Nikon Camera bracket at B&H Photo (on line) $250
Nikon S3700 camera at Walmart $220 ( i may swap this out and try a different camera )
Tripod at Cabelas $140

Great set up. I'm surprised that you found a point and shoot camera that accepts a cable release. Neither of my Pentax DSLR's have this feature which is something I miss. When shooting from my tripod I use the 2 second self timer. But, a lot can happen in that 2 seconds. What model tripod are you using? I'd like to get a camera bracket for my spotting scope for my Pentax cameras.

Just 1 More

Great set up. I'm surprised that you found a point and shoot camera that accepts a cable release. Neither of my Pentax DSLR's have this feature which is something I miss. When shooting from my tripod I use the 2 second self timer. But, a lot can happen in that 2 seconds. What model tripod are you using? I'd like to get a camera bracket for my spotting scope for my Pentax cameras.

It's more the bracket/camera mount than it is the camera, BUT, you have to have a small point & shoot to be able to use this bracket. They make other brakcets/mounts for DSLR camers.

The tripod is a Cabelas Vanguard Alta series, i'm not real impressed with it. I wanted more of a fluid head tripod but i'm not going to spend the money on a Manfrotto (well, Maybe)

Manfrotto makes a good tripod. But, any tripod with a 3 way Pan/Tilt head is normally not so smooth. Ball heads are better for still shots, but aren't much use if panning a subject. I hope to see some more of your digiscoping results soon. If you ever want to discuss photography drop me a PM.

Just 1 More

New Weaver trigger ball mount window mount and the only "willing" participant I could find tonight,,, Had some bigger ones but they'd obviously played this game before.. LOL