Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio whitetail lottery hunts.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes they are worthwhile. It's only 3 bucks per application. I can't think of a reason to not apply for them.

My step daughter got a Mosquito gun last year and wife got a Ravenna gun as well. Both harvested their first deer(both 1.5 yr. old bucks) within the first hour of each respective hunt. And the year before I had a Plumbrook and took the wife for her first ever hunt and had a 130"+ within 20 yds. but wouldn't stop for her to get a clean bow shot. She's been hooked on hunting since that moment.

So yeah, I'd say they are worth applying for.

DustOfMan

Thanks for the replies. Figure I won't get anything, but I hadn't come across any threads about them. Figured I'd ask about your experiences during them.

Flathead76

Athens
I have gun hunted plumbrook 3 times, bow hunted Ottawa, gun hunted Ottawa, and bow hunted Honda. Plumbrook can be a decent hunt if your in a good section. If your not like my last time in. It sucks ass. Not many deer in there any more. On a good day they kill 25-30 deer combined for a hunt. The Honda hunt they let you hunt in areas away from the factory. There are some deer but nothing close to where they are around the factory. I have no clue why so many put in for this hunt. Ottawa there are some good deer in the swamp. Both hunts I saw a big buck but did not have a shot. My favorite is the Ottawa bow hunt because they give you four days to hunt. Also some of the sections are pushing 200 acres. Finding a good tree in some of the areas is challenging. My advice is to just go in and pound brown and not hold out for antlers. It's not like the deer count towards your limit.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I've had pretty good luck getting drawn. I've been to the Plum, Ravenna and Mosquito twice. Yet to see a big buck, but have taken a few doe.

Flathead76

Athens
How much of a pain and costs for the background check for the Plumbrook hunt?
the very first year they did require the background checks it was a royal pain in the dick. That putting it lightly. They required you to go to the sheriffs office and get finger printed. Then you had to send like 20 dollars to the FBI to get the background check. The process takes around 6 weeks. I didn't check the box "for personal reasons" as to why I wanted the background check done. So they kicked my application out so I had to resubmit it. They didn't charge me again though. With like two weeks before my hunt date still no positive background check. So what I did was do the express background check. It cost around 90 dollars to do. Just my luck BOTH background checks came in the mail on the same day. Two days before my hunt date. The process was so bad that when we hunted we had not one section next to us being hunted. Anyone who has hunted plumbrook before knows that if your not having people bump deer around it makes for some real shitty hunting. Now they do the background check for you. So don't worry about it.