Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Debate time

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Steve Pinkston(sp?) has killed at least 3 bucks that netted over 200"! Sam Collora has killed a few giants as well. I know of no one killing more than one 250+ deer though.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
A slob a 250 inch deer.......I never even consider that as an option and I'm blessed to hunt some good areas. I have chased a deer that'll push 190 and that's a HUGE deer, to me.

I can't imagine a world where we are taking about guys killing a 250 and calling it a slob. Shoot a 145 is a slob to me.

Long and short of it. It's all about access food and pressure. Adam Hayes ain't killing 200 inch deer in WNF. Not knocking him just saying. Can't kill that caliber of deer where they aren't.

Lee and Tiffany have managed 6000 acres I believe it is, specifically for whitetails. How and the hell can a guy like myself even try to compare are deer hunting situations. Be like comparing my bank account to Mark Cuban's. Sure I do ok, but I ain't even in the same class.

My 2 cents.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I'd have to agree with those that said the guy that does it with consistency and under fair chase versus the one hit wonder guy. I also think that there's too much emphasis on score. IMO, age of the animal harvested is more of a measure of success than score.
Lots of good discussion here I might add. Carry on;)

Pabowbender

I'm satisfied just being a Public Land nobody. I don't kill BIG bucks where I hunt because there just aren't many like that, but when I do decide to shoot a buck it needs to be as big or bigger than my previous buck, or it needs to be unique, even if it means going several years not shooting a buck. When I kill a public land deer where I hunt, I get a real good feeling of accomplishment, because this land gets pressure!

Here's my buck from last season that I just got back from the taxi a couple weeks ago. He's not a big buck, but he sure is cool looking. He's my best buck in 13 years of hunting this public land. I have numerous trail cam pics of him, so it made it extra cool.

Attachments

• IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great buck PA. Not a thing wrong with shooting for age, for character, to fill the freezer, or just because the buck trips your trigger. I have changed (matured or evolved if you will) in what I look for as well. Going into this year with similar thoughts as last year. Shoot what makes me happy. Preferably a mature deer no matter what the score. I won't lie to you though, when I get in the stand I sometimes change my mind. Lol