Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When I'm not hunting...

Qback5

...(or with family, or working, etc.)...I'm in my woodshop. I was fortunate enough to have a father who taught me, among many other things, his trade. He taught woodworking, and I loved making projects with him---and he was very kind to make them with me even though it prevented him from making things he wanted TOO. Anyway, I was very pleased with how these turned out, so thought I'd share. I made the first twin bed last year, and finished the second one just this week. Our daughters are now sharing a room as we just became licensed foster parents this week (looooong journey to get there), so we needed a room for our first placement. They are made of soft maple with a MDF panel (quarter inch). Side rails are attached with a mortise-free bracket (http://www.rockler.com/5-surface-mounted-bed-rail-brackets), and everything is painted with Benjamin Moore Advance Paint through a Graco sprayer. I cannot say enough about this kind of paint for high quality finish, and after using a Wagner sprayer for years, the Graco was a nice and recent upgrade. Just thought I'd share...
twinbeds.jpg

(P.S. - the decorating is my wife's touch...I just made the beds!)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks nice. Good work! Good on you for fostering. Takes a special kind of person to do so.

Qback5

Many thanks! First night went well...both for our girls sleeping in their beds and for our new friend sleeping in our home. This first "placement" looks like just a short term, 25 hour placement...good one to get our feet wet with.