Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Portable ice makers

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have spent a fortune on ice over the years. I saw portable ice makers in the Camping World flyer. Just under $200. Clicked on amazon. Same ones around $100-150. Anyone have experience with them? My guys spend $4.50 per day or more daily or at least every other day. I was thinking of trying one for the Mingo outing if you guys have any positive feedback on them. Wouldn't take long to pay for it. Just need to know if they do alright or hold up well.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What's it make in an hour Phil?
As with anything- depends on how much you spend. Looks like most of the cheap ones make 20-28lbs of ice per day. Roughly a pound per hour. Just this week on vacation we have been buying 3 8lb bags per day at $7.50/day. That is half the cost in a week or at least a bit under half the cost. I need to know how they hold up or how if they produce what they claim.

Buckmaster

Portage
For ice....I take my heavy duty Tupperware tubs, fill them with water, and freeze. Now I have 10 pound ice blocks that last for days in the cooler.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
For ice....I take my heavy duty Tupperware tubs, fill them with water, and freeze. Now I have 10 pound ice blocks that last for days in the cooler.

I don't know anything about ice makers but that's how we used to do it. Before a fishing trip my dad would fill 2L bottles with water and freeze them. Another good tip is to refrigerate any drinks the night before. It takes 3/4 of a bag of ice to cool down a room temp 12 pack.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not seeing much feedback here. The other route I was considering is more expensive. It consists of spending money once and crying once. I may have a Yeti or Bison cooler to bring to Mingo to keep our water and stuff cold. Good grief. I can't believe I am considering this. My first house payment was less per month than one of these things. As with anything, you get what you pay for and the cost savings over time will pay for itself. Just can't believe I am considering one. arrrgggh

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
We make the plastic for yeti coolers, I get 20% off and still can't justify one. There was an article in field and stream and the reviews on the top end coolers said that cabelas was the best