Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2016 Pics

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You know I've had a shift in priorities and time when it's July before I have anything to share! I let this buck walk last year during my best hunt of the year. Good to see him back.

He's not the biggest around, but I'd shoot him and be happy to have done so. Plenty of does and fawns on cam as well. Overall, I think we will be in good shape this fall!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nice!! Is he 4.25 years old?

This is him last year. My guess is he's just a 3.5 this year. But I'm tired of letting them get to 4, then get shot by someone else. This is year 11 on the farm and I still haven't killed a buck there. So guess what will happen if I see this guy? LOL

Buckmaster

Portage
This is him last year. My guess is he's just a 3.5 this year. But I'm tired of letting them get to 4, then get shot by someone else. This is year 11 on the farm and I still haven't killed a buck there. So guess what will happen if I see this guy? LOL

.....poor deer. His life has been reduced to.....a Target.

Here's to future backstaps on the grill. :smiley_coolpeace:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I saw pics this week of a true monarch on a farm just over a mile west of what's long been my honey hole. However there's very little chance I'll ever see this deer on my side of the road. It was just cool seeing what's possible around the hood!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You never know, Jesse. You are over due for some good fortune.

That natural mineral seep seems to be a great find for you.
Sure has been. Can't believe I missed it all these years. And you are correct sir, some good fortune as it applies to my hunts on the farm is LONG overdue. I will not be hunting the adjacent 50 acres I called Hippie Ridge due to the construction of a $5MM estate being built on the 7 acres that was an outparcel from the original farm. It's causing a massive disturbance and I'll use it to my advantage. Could be an interesting year as I have dedicated my full attention to just our 80 acres is some time. Looking forward to hunting some new spots and really stepping up the habitat management again. Having a kid and coaching baseball pushed all that way down the list! No baseball henceforth and K is now old enough to benefit from the efforts and she's my main motivation in life. Regardless of what I may kill, or not kill over the next decade, I know my best hunting is yet to come!

bruce

That's a great photo. The thing about not letting them get to 4,5, or 6, is the fact you won't shoot him at that age if you don't give him the chance to get there. A friend of mine told me that years ago, and guess what? He has a wall full of big bucks. Just some food for thought.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Agreed. I lived by that for a long time and every buck on my wall is 5 or older. However life changes priorities and with that comes an alteration in philosophy. That line of thinking is not wrong, it's just wrong for the place I'm at in life.