Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Considering buying hunting land in Michigan rather than Ohio.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree.

My FIL has 5.6 acres. He's killed 2 mature bucks(xbow),his son has killed 3 mature bucks and 2 big doe(all compound bow), and I killed one big doe(shotgun sabot)and not one left his property. All shots were well placed and all dropped within eyesight from stand.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've also killed a few deer on 2 properties that are less than 8 acres, not one ever crossed the line, and even if they would of I have permission to go get them.

Bigcountry40

Hell I killed 2 deer on a 2 acre suburban woods in Stow, Ohio (which I think I never really permission for, land owner owned like 50' of the woods) neither deer ever made it out of the woods.

Like others have said the drive would be too far. When I was looking I wanted to stay within 2 hrs. This allows you if you want to do a day hunt and not stay overnight if needed. It will be a long day, but it can be done. I know a bunch of people that have camps 4 hrs or more from home and they are lucky to make it more than a couple times a year due to other obligations.

I originally wanted more property, but ended up settling for 13 acres bordering public ground on 2 sides. Property is such that I will probably have 3 stand locations and with neighboring public ground a deer running off my ground really isn't an issue. I think I also got lucky as the neighbors have been awesome that I do have.