Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kentucky Early Season?

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Anyone hunt early season Kentucky? I've been looking and considering doing a hunt in KY, i'd like to stay close to the Ohio border since it would be around 3-4 hour drive depending on where exactly it is. I spoke with one small outfitter awhile back that was going to give me a good deal but that was back in Jan to book and not sure the offer still stands for now.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
It can be good . Season comes in the first Sat in Sept so bucks are still on summer patterns and there's a good chance to kill a velvet buck depending on how the dates fall . If ya have time to run cams and watch fields it's a great opportunity to kill a big boy before they transition off summer patterns

Just 1 More

Had a place to hunt west of Madisonville, near Dalton and didn't hunt it as hard as we should have.. we figured we had the place sewn up for years.. who knew the ole guy would croak and his wicked sister sell it off :smiley_devil:
I say DO IT and take me with you :smiley_cheers:

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Had a place to hunt west of Madisonville, near Dalton and didn't hunt it as hard as we should have.. we figured we had the place sewn up for years.. who knew the ole guy would croak and his wicked sister sell it off :smiley_devil:
I say DO IT and take me with you :smiley_cheers:
Looking at your screen name I'd say we'd get along just great! That is as long as you like to party.....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Looking at your screen name I'd say we'd get along just great! That is as long as you like to party.....
That's what some people called my grandpa, "one more paul", he'd be at the bar and ready to leave and someone would ask him if he'd have another, he'd say just one more lol.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I never liked the rain until I walked through it with you..
uploadfromtaptalk1466820674236.jpg

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I've hunted early season a few times and might gonagain this year if we don't go to Missouri. Its hot is one thing I have to say and if your gonna do public land make sure you go scout. The first year I went we got in Friday before eseason opened went and found a few spots and the next morning I got lost driving back so didn't get there till it was breaking day light and watched a good 8 point come within 40 yards of my stand while I was 200 yards away from it I was pissed at myself. I think Brock had killed a few KY deer. I'm sure he will chime in

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've hunted early season a few times and might gonagain this year if we don't go to Missouri. Its hot is one thing I have to say and if your gonna do public land make sure you go scout. The first year I went we got in Friday before eseason opened went and found a few spots and the next morning I got lost driving back so didn't get there till it was breaking day light and watched a good 8 point come within 40 yards of my stand while I was 200 yards away from it I was pissed at myself. I think Brock had killed a few KY deer. I'm sure he will chime in
Where are you planning on hunting in Missouri?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Yes I have, and it is one of my favorite places to hunt. I LOVE hunting early, and KY offers three solid weeks of hunting before our season opens here. It's been several years since I have hunted KY. There was several years when a buddy and I would kill all four of our allotted deer in KY before our season would even open here... those were great times! We would hunt clover fields to start the season, never hunted in the mornings. As the acorns would begin to drop we would switch to hunting the oaks. It's easy to know when it was time to switch as the clover fields would suddenly be void of deer, relative to what they had been. Its just a matter of looking for those first-dropping oaks then. The heat does not bother deer at all that time of year, they are dressed for it. Those short coats make beautiful mounts too, should you kill one you'd like to mount. For comfort, I'd wear a pair of shorts and t-shirt to the stands. Once there, slide on a mesh camo "bug suit" to ward off bugs and for concealment. If it weren't for my kid being involved with baseball until the first part of October,. I'd still be planning KY hunts. Oh, and you stand a good chance to kill one in velvet too. I shot one on Sept 18th one year, and both he and the buck that was with him were still covered up completely

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Yes I have, and it is one of my favorite places to hunt. I LOVE hunting early, and KY offers three solid weeks of hunting before our season opens here. It's been several years since I have hunted KY. There was several years when a buddy and I would kill all four of our allotted deer in KY before our season would even open here... those were great times! We would hunt clover fields to start the season, never hunted in the mornings. As the acorns would begin to drop we would switch to hunting the oaks. It's easy to know when it was time to switch as the clover fields would suddenly be void of deer, relative to what they had been. Its just a matter of looking for those first-dropping oaks then. The heat does not bother deer at all that time of year, they are dressed for it. Those short coats make beautiful mounts too, should you kill one you'd like to mount. For comfort, I'd wear a pair of shorts and t-shirt to the stands. Once there, slide on a mesh camo "bug suit" to ward off bugs and for concealment. If it weren't for my kid being involved with baseball until the first part of October,. I'd still be planning KY hunts. Oh, and you stand a good chance to kill one in velvet too. I shot one on Sept 18th one year, and both he and the buck that was with him were still covered up completely
That's awesome to hear! I will only be buck hunting and looking at it as more of an early start to the season. Of course a velvet buck would be the ultimate goal but I'm not really concerned with that as priority #1. I've talked and looked at outfitters and part of me wants to do that this first year but the hunter in me really wants to do a public land DIY hunt. What zone were you in? I'd like to stay in zone 1 due to travel times and there are a few WMA's in that zone... I'm leaning towards going and doing some scouting the next few weeks and hang a cam or a few ( up high to try to deter thieves)