Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bought a new toy

Blan37

SW Ohio
I've had my eye on this deal at Costco for the last month or so and decided to pick one up tonight. I'll be upgrading the seat but other than that this thing is pretty damn slick. Has plenty of storage, two rod holders and a paddle. At 12' it should track good and be plenty fast.

I owned a SOT when I lived in Columbus but sold it before I moved. Looking forward to getting back on the water and doing some fishing!

4725A58D-9AE2-46E0-A74F-CF3B34FED1B2.jpg

Blan37

SW Ohio
Thanks guys. Yeah, can't wait to try her out. Seemed like a heck of a deal at $399. Will be going on Tuesday to get my stickers.

Do you guys do night fishing? I'm trying to decide what kind of light to get for it. I want to do some nighttime catfishing but don't want to get run over by motorboats lol.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I have done a lot of night fishing out of my 15' canoe I bought in 1972. Mostly pitching black jitterbugs toward strip mine walls. Nothing more exciting than seeing a a 5 lb bass pounce on that lure on a calm night. The important thing is to let your eyes adjust to the darkness. The only time I used lights is to tie on another lure. Its also a help to take a 10' golf ball retriever with a hook on it to retrieve lures you threw into overhanging branches.

I think the regulations for a hand powered craft required only a decent flash light but then again, I would skip night fishing on big reservoirs.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Night time has a speed limit for motored boats, I want to say 10 mph but I could be wrong on that....

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I've had my eye on this deal at Costco for the last month or so and decided to pick one up tonight. I'll be upgrading the seat but other than that this thing is pretty damn slick. Has plenty of storage, two rod holders and a paddle. At 12' it should track good and be plenty fast.

I owned a SOT when I lived in Columbus but sold it before I moved. Looking forward to getting back on the water and doing some fishing!

View attachment 44640

Nice. Looks sick. How much was it there?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice to see that it's airtight instead of the open kind. What I would have given a couple febuarys ago for a yak that floated after tipping over and filling with water.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Nice to see that it's airtight instead of the open kind. What I would have given a couple febuarys ago for a yak that floated after tipping over and filling with water.

Oh man - you tipped in February? Hope it was somewhere down south and not here in Ohio lol

Blan37

SW Ohio
Dang Joe - that's scary stuff right there. Glad you made it out. God was watching over you that day for sure.

Just curious: Did you ever get that gun back?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
They are a lot of fun. You leaning toward anything in particular yet?
I have really been trying to look in to the pros and the cons of the SOT vs Sitins. I'm not really planning on doing a lot of fishing, some but not a lot. I'm leaning more towards a river style kayak. One that you could do some multiple day trip, and have everything you need packed on the yak. As a matter of fact up until Austin broke his leg we where going to both get kayaks this summer.

With that being said let's here the reasons to have a SOT over a sit in, or vise versa.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I have really been trying to look in to the pros and the cons of the SOT vs Sitins. I'm not really planning on doing a lot of fishing, some but not a lot. I'm leaning more towards a river style kayak. One that you could do some multiple day trip, and have everything you need packed on the yak. As a matter of fact up until Austin broke his leg we where going to both get kayaks this summer.

With that being said let's here the reasons to have a SOT over a sit in, or vise versa.

At one time I was looking at Malibu's x-caliber (used to be called the pro explorer) for multi-day trips: I really liked the large hatch on it and the fact that it was set up pretty good for fishing. It's a little more expensive, though. Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayaks/x-caliber/

I'm a big fan of SOTs because of stability and the fact that they are self bailing. I don't want to mess with tipping (or sinking for that matter), so for me buying a SOT versus a sit-in isn't something I have to even think about. I like being able to stand up when I'm fishing too and the SOTs give a nice stable platform for that. If you go in the water, it's most likely going to be because you lost your balance and not because the kayak flipped (not impossible, but you almost have to do it on purpose).

Blan37

SW Ohio
One drawback that I thought of to SOTs is that you do tend to get wet in them from paddling. It's not a big deal for me as I'm usually only out when it's not cold. But, for people who want to paddle in colder weather or just stay dry in general, they may not be the best choice.

I got to take my yak out for her maiden voyage yesterday. I'm very happy with the speed and how it tracks. Seems pretty stable, but not as stable as the last SOT I owned. At any rate, it's a keeper.

My next purchase is going to be a fish finder. I'm leaning toward the Garmin Striker 4 - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/fishfinders/striker-4/prod528812.html.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dang Joe - that's scary stuff right there. Glad you made it out. God was watching over you that day for sure.

Just curious: Did you ever get that gun back?

Tried a few times but the bottom is thick with grass. The wife surprised me last Christmas with the same model gun so all is good.