Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Coyote Kill with my Savage .243!!!

I wish I could say I called this one in, but my neighbor seen it out in the field and it appeared to be digging at something. As it turns out, it had killed 2 fox squirrels and was tearing them apart.
Anyway, I grabbed my Savage 11-VT, in .243 Win., put a few of my reloaded 75gr. Hornady V-Max rounds in it and ran outside. The coyote was occupied with eating the squirrels, so I leaned against a couple of barrels, aimed center mass on the chest and squeezed off the shot. The coyote dropped in its' tracks at the shot, so I walked out to claim my prize. :smiley_bril:
I stepped off 190 paces from the coyote to the barrels. I love this rifle! The bullet never made an exit hole, so all of the energy of the 75gr. V-Max was displaced inside the coyote, at 3300 f.p.s. The next purchase for this rifle is going to be a bi-pod!

I'm taking my shotgun with my Patternmaster choke, some #4 Hevi-Shot and go looking for the den pups.
Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Awesome news.... I'm waiting for the day I come across one of these bastards..... Gotta love the .243 it's an all around varmint killer ....

Gern186 said:
Dont you feel guilty killing the mother of those poor coyote pups?:smiley_crocodile:
Not in the least! I'm going back out, after the pups with my shotgun, a Patternmaster choke tube and some #4 Hevi-Shot. I show them the same mercy that they show the whitetail fawns...NONE! :smiley_arrogant:

Bowhunter57