Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How do you view your trail camera photos?

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Been doing some online shopping looking at SD card viewers and it got me thinking, what do you typically check cards with?

Ive got a Plano case that holds 8 SD cards and typically I just switch them out and view them when i get home, most cameras on the home farm I am able to pull right up to in the mini-truck and never get out so ill have my laptop on the passenger seat and check em right there, I bought a card reader that plugs into my phone and it seems to work alright just slow which makes me mad... I'm thinking of purchasing a card viewer, Moultrie makes one that actually can hold two cards so if there are pictures you want to keep you just transfer to the other card in the viewer. Wildgame is selling a 7" tablet that you can view on,which really interest me I'd just rather not purchase a WGI product. So what do you use and or do, and why?

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I just bring mine home when I swap them and view on laptop. I have a couple buddies that have the WGI tablets. They would be nice to grab a card on the way into stand and view it to kill some time and get the blood pumping. They seem pretty happy with them

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I swap cards and use a laptop when I get home. I keep them in a folder structure by date then by location.

For example.

2016 cams
-6-15 check
--creek
--hill
--cut

I copy the entire card to the folder and never delete anything. After the copy I quick format the card and use it for the next swap.

angelzd28

I use an older Digital camera, its a Nikon that we bought a couple years back. It gets the job done and is small enough to take to the stand with and check pics.

Laptop as well. Create a folder for the year and label it 20160504_Big Holla or whatever title I choose for the location. The best way I found is as I go through pics I then tag them with a deer's name or something for the one's I want to keep. I then go into Windows Explorer to spot the tagged pics so when I am done I can easily delete all the others I am not interested in keeping.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Like the majority, I use my laptop. All saved pics go in a folder by Year - Location (Property) - Month. I also have a "Keepers" folder. Each camera has 2 cards with the camera ID written on it. I keep them in one of those hard-sided wallets. I want to design something for keeping cards/keys just for this type of situation...

pyrohusband

I view them on my lapto or PC but I have a card reader I bought for less than $20 at miejers that uses my phone as a viewer and I can transfer all the folders to my phone and see them at the cam if I want to. I believe it's called whitetail'r phone reader. This can be bought on Amazon as well and has worked flawless for me.

For viewing in the field during the season I use a portable SD card reader that plugs directly into my phone. This allows me to view any "hot" data that could make a difference while I'm out. I download all photos to a specific folder and then can further review the pics on my laptop when I get home.

During less crucial times of the year I just swap cards and view the photos on my laptop.

As far as creating folders and compiling data I use the deerlab software. Only down side is I get consumed by my deerlab account and don't get much sleep..haha

I just picked up a new card reader to use with my phone.The Andriod version of the Bone View. It works really well minus the fact it will not read our cams video codec...so that's an issue but works great with pics. They are relatively cheap on Amazon around $20. I actually like this better than the media streamer I was using last year, minus the codec issue. The Bone View uploads pics much faster than the media streamer and allows me to scroll through the thumb images before selecting a viewing individual photos. If I remember correctly the media streamer loaded individual photos so trying to view a large number of images became a hassle. I think most guys would really like this thing!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I just picked up a new card reader to use with my phone.The Andriod version of the Bone View. It works really well minus the fact it will not read our cams video codec...so that's an issue but works great with pics. They are relatively cheap on Amazon around $20. I actually like this better than the media streamer I was using last year, minus the codec issue. The Bone View uploads pics much faster than the media streamer and allows me to scroll through the thumb images before selecting a viewing individual photos. If I remember correctly the media streamer loaded individual photos so trying to view a large number of images became a hassle. I think most guys would really like this thing!
Can you post a link to the card reader?

Ricer2231

Have been thinking about getting one of these for my iPhone. I have one of the Wild Game Innovations readers right now but really like the idea of having the pics I want right on my phone.