Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Poachers fined- Avon Lake

teej89

NE PA
:smiley_clap::pickle::smiley_clap::smiley_coolpeace:

I was hoping the 24k was both but oh well, I wonder what justified the jail time vs no jail time

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
:smiley_clap::pickle::smiley_clap::smiley_coolpeace:

I was hoping the 24k was both but oh well, I wonder what justified the jail time vs no jail time

Agreed. Wonder what got him the 20 days. I've seen huge busts of many bucks that didn't end up in jail time.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Avon Lake is a small lake front suburb full of deer. My mil lives just west of there.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
At one time you lost your license for 5 years? why not in this case?

Hope they use the photo on the cover of next years hunting regulation book.

I wonder how many game wardens checked in deer this year while "on the clock"

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Im guessing they shot these deer in city parks or something. Anyone know the story?

Avon Lake is small town, that has outgrown itself as most towns do as they grow into cities. Loaded with deer, they have been forced into small wood lots, a few AG fields that are left, etc.

The city does have a rule that you can bow hunt if you have 5 acres or more. These bucks were very visible from what my friend told me who lives there. He said used to see them almost daily in a field behind his house. He loved watching them he told me.

Ok that is all I know. Not sure if they actually shot them in a park or not though.

Bigcountry40

Avon Lake is small town, that has outgrown itself as most towns do as they grow into cities. Loaded with deer, they have been forced into small wood lots, a few AG fields that are left, etc.

The city does have a rule that you can bow hunt if you have 5 acres or more. These bucks were very visible from what my friend told me who lives there. He said used to see them almost daily in a field behind his house. He loved watching them he told me.

Ok that is all I know. Not sure if they actually shot them in a park or not though.
If they got fined for shooting these deer on land they had permission to hunt (even if it wasn't 5 acres, but a large safe area )and it was shot during the day (legal shooting time and not out of a moving vehicle), this is harsh.
My argument is full of "ifs" and hypotheticals, but if the only law that was broken is it wasn't killed on 5 continuous acres, but killed somewhere safe on like an acre of land on a wood line close to a park, ODNR is really over reaching, Avon Lake is a place where deer are a problem need to be controlled. This is counter productive if the only law that was broken is the 5 acre ordinance.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If they got fined for shooting these deer on land they had permission to hunt (even if it wasn't 5 acres, but a large safe area )and it was shot during the day (legal shooting time and not out of a moving vehicle), this is harsh.
My argument is full of "ifs" and hypotheticals, but if the only law that was broken is it wasn't killed on 5 continuous acres, but killed somewhere safe on like an acre of land on a wood line close to a park, ODNR is really over reaching, Avon Lake is a place where deer are a problem need to be controlled. This is counter productive if the only law that was broken is the 5 acre ordinance.

sorry bud I wasn't trying to imply they did it legally. I am sure someone did have permission legally to kill those deer and was trying to which is more of a bummer not matter if in a rural/suburban setting when a deer is taken illegally.

rsmith

Facebook searched the kids names and that Adam kid had a picture of that buck in the back of his truck. Comments said" it was his first deer of many to come" guess that was his first and his last haha.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Facebook searched the kids names and that Adam kid had a picture of that buck in the back of his truck. Comments said" it was his first deer of many to come" guess that was his first and his last haha.
What a douche. How could he post something like that on social media with a smile on his face like he killed that buck after sitting for hours in a stand.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
What a douche. How could he post something like that on social media with a smile on his face like he killed that buck after sitting for hours in a stand.

I looked it up as well. He commented how "it's way more fun than fishing this is man shit"

I'll just let that cook over.