Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what would you pick?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am not a gun guy. I like them, I own a lot, I shoot a bit, but I am not an expert by any means. I have been wanting to buy a 444 or 45/70govt for deer since they became legal. I have just been spending fun money on other stuff.

Now I am wondering what is better a 444/4570 or the Savage 212/220s? What will I get more range, consistancy, etc our of?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I have both calibers Albert and I like them both. However, my favorite is my Marlin 444. It shoots the 265 gr. Hornady's pretty darn good! 1.5" at 150 yards.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Too me it's what costs the least and availability of ammo.... 45-70 seems too be available most places where as I don't see 444 around on the shelves much..... Unless you're going too start reloading and it won't matter....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The Savage bolt guns are just as accurate as the rifles, with the right ammo... and likely have just as much range. But I think the rifles have an advantage in that they are going to be cheaper to shoot and practice with. I own a Savage 220 and love it. I'd like to have a deer rifle too. But I just like guns. lol

antiqucycle

East Ohio
If you can find a trip 4's marlin buy it as its likely a pre Remlin gun. A 444 usually is loaded with a 240 gr or 265 grain bullet. a 45/70 is loaded with 300 to 400 grain bullets that give you a "rainbow trajectory". Most older 45/70 ammo was loaded light to be safe in very old springfield trapdoor guns dating to 1873. The "70" represents 70 grains of black powder which is much less than is used in most current black powder guns.

Finding a Marlin 444 is not easy in Ohio. Marlin(remlin) is not making any new ones. the other manufacturers mostly make single shot 444's like CVA. 444 ammo is somewhat hard to find but if your setup to reload and have brass, its very easy.

I also think you will find an 444 Marlin will hold its value better than a "poc remlin" 45/70. I have a trip4's and T/C contender with a 14" 444 barrel and an ancient Springfield Trapdoor 45/70.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thank you all for the information.

When you say ammo is hard to find have you all used the internet? I seem to be able to find 444 and 4570 off line but that can be a pain if you need it right away.

I will most likely end up getting one of each eventually, as I too love guns. I think ill go with between the 4570 or 444 for now. Now the real work decided on deciding which one to pick. I have seen the TC or CVA single shots that look ok but I think a lever action is the way to go.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Did you tell him to quit shooting fawns? [emoji23]

Hahaha ya I have seen a 45-70 do some destruction to a deers front shoulder. I really am not concerned about losing a shoulder roast on a deer. I'll shoot them with my bow if I really feel I need meat. Normally when I gun hunt I am only shooting if I get a chance at a big buck anyways.