Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BigSlams 2016 food plots

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1465101171888.jpg

Fuggin buffet is what that is!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
looks good chad! What mix was that? Looks like some rye or oats in there? Peas?

Thats a big doe!!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
looks good chad! What mix was that? Looks like some rye or oats in there? Peas?

Thats a big doe!!
There's all kinds of shit in that plot lol. The stuff with the white heads on it is buckwheat. That NWTF mix had eagle beans, buckwheat, sorghum, sunflower, cowpeas. I top seeded it with a little invite woodland forage blend and throw and grow extreme with oats.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1465132923802.jpg

Got apples growing on the tree! I got this tree from tsc 3 years ago, don't ask me what kind it is cause I don't remember lol. I had to tie a rope to the trunk and tie it off to another tree so it would straighten up.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
yea chad that fruit tree is looking great! Damn I wish mine would be doing that good, if they were Id have TONS of apples. I got a lot of fruit trees, just no fruit! hahaha!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Hit the local elevator today and picked up 4 pounds of medium red clover, $10.80 was a pretty good deal. I plan on broadcasting it at our property tomorrow since we have a chance of rain the next few days. The guy said that winter rye seed wouldn't be in until next week, I was thinking about broadcasting that into my existing plot at my honey hole.

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Hit the local elevator today and picked up 4 pounds of medium red clover, $10.80 was a pretty good deal. I plan on broadcasting it at our property tomorrow since we have a chance of rain the next few days. The guy said that winter rye seed wouldn't be in until next week, I was thinking about broadcasting that into my existing plot at my honey hole.

you could pick up a bag of oats at TSC, they are only 19.99 for a 50lb bag. Seed rate is roughly 100lbs per acre, so if your overseeing you oughta be fine with one bag. My deer smash them.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I tried oats last year at our place and they didn't do very well, what did grow was nibbled on by the deer though. Our land is old strip mine ground. So hopefully the winter rye will grow good.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I tried oats last year at our place and they didn't do very well, what did grow was nibbled on by the deer though. Our land is old strip mine ground. So hopefully the winter rye will grow good.

man if oats grow darn near everywhere, but rye might be a bit hardier. I buy a mix from heartland sometimes when I don't feel like mixing my own or I am in a rush. I think it is winter rye, wheat, and oats. Then brassicas on top of that. Its a sweet mix. Buck buster extreme its called I believe.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
They are coming along nice!
Aside from a few 'kill' plots in the timber, we are putting our last fall plots in tomorrow morning (Bonar Rape and Purple Top Turnips).
Come early September we will plant the last plots in the timber with a mix of oats and clover. Mainly looking for the clover to be there next spring with the oats being the draw this fall.
Not sure what seed outlets you guys use, but this is a good one: www.welterseed.com. They pretty much have anything you can image in their seed catalog.
I just head on over when we need something, but I think there shipping is reasonable.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
They are coming along nice!
Aside from a few 'kill' plots in the timber, we are putting our last fall plots in tomorrow morning (Bonar Rape and Purple Top Turnips).
Come early September we will plant the last plots in the timber with a mix of oats and clover. Mainly looking for the clover to be there next spring with the oats being the draw this fall.
Not sure what seed outlets you guys use, but this is a good one: www.welterseed.com. They pretty much have anything you can image in their seed catalog.
I just head on over when we need something, but I think there shipping is reasonable.

welter is good but I hate paying shipping so sometimes if I and doing small plots Ill buy BOB seed. I also just go to my co-op often as well. Ohio also has Merit seed company, a lot of guys use them...great stuff!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
When to the grain elevator today and picked up a bushel of winter rye. I'll plant it at the end of August so it's nice and short come hunting season.