Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pocket Pistol Preferences?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Pocket pistols.....

Lots of options but most of it will come down to you. What types of pants/shorts do you normally wear? How large are the pockets? What is the minimum caliber you feel comfortable carrying? and most importantly what gun(s) do you shoot the best in the sizes and calibers found from above?

The pockets in a pair of my jeans varies signficantly from brand to brand as well as in my dressier pants, shorts, etc. This influences how I carry and/or what I wear when I am carrying in either pocket or IWB. Are you planning on front or back pocket carry? I only carry front pocket when I pocket carry. I have successfully pocket carried everything from a snubnose .38 special through CCO styled 1911. I currently carry a S&W Shield but will probably be changing to a Sig P320 in compact in the near future.

Secondly, a good pocket holster is essential to accomplish 3 things. First you want to cover the trigger guard so you don't end up on the news. Secondly you want it to keep the pistol oriented so you can actually remove it from your pocket if you ever need to use it. Third, you want it to break up the outline so its not as obvious. That being said most people around you are completely clueless.

Calibers.....I don't want to start a caliber war but you can easily find pocket sized 9mms out there since you already have ammo for that. Otherwise you are investing in a new caliber, if that's an issue. I personally don't like carrying smaller than .38sp or 9mm but do have a .380 for those times when I have to be incredibly discreet.

The main options I would look at would be the LCP, LCR, S&W snubnoses of many varieties, S&W Shield, Glock, Sig P320, etc. However, find a gun range that has the gun you are thinking about buying to rent or ask one of us and shoot it first. I had an LCP for all of a month and absolutely hated shooting it, which is why I didn't keep it long. You may be surprised how much a small fraction of an inch here or there can increase or decrease your comfort while shooting and how accurately you can shoot the firearm.

Here are two files that are a few years old but show and compare quite a few pistols in the size we are looking at. Unfortunately its old enough most of the newer stuff I mentioned above isn't in the file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mex5igwz5hf14zd/PocketAutoComparison.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7464v6363lhl3j0/CompactCompare.pdf?dl=0

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I got $10 for the first guy that does a bang up, 500 round review on a Sccy. Are they the tits or do they suck?

If I am buying a gun that I may be using to defend my life I have many criteria. One of those criteria deals with the platform or manufacturer being used by those who put themselves into harms way professionally (military or police). I don't think Sccy fits that criteria. Not saying they may not make great firearms.... but a quick look at budsgunshop has a Sccy listed for $270. You can get Glocks, S&Ws and other major manufacturers for just over $300 if you look.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
If I am buying a gun that I may be using to defend my life I have many criteria. One of those criteria deals with the platform or manufacturer being used by those who put themselves into harms way professionally (military or police). I don't think Sccy fits that criteria. Not saying they may not make great firearms.... but a quick look at budsgunshop has a Sccy listed for $270. You can get Glocks, S&Ws and other major manufacturers for just over $300 if you look.

Truth

antiqucycle

East Ohio
to bad the government outlawed the import of Saturday night specials like a FIE 25 auto, a really small Galesi 25, a jennings 22LR. For that matter, some of the 32 long old old revolvers like a Hopkins Allen.

Huckleberry Finn

I agree but after spending an hour looking at Wiki lists of service pistols, there are probably some high end and common exceptions. Ruger, Kimber, etc.

I need a gun for my center console when I'm not carrying but stepping out to get gas or whatever. Nothing fancy.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had a sig 290rs that was pretty much this gun just a higher end.... Lonnnng trigger pull.... Didn't mind it at first but grew too dislike later on.... Got rid of it and went too a shield and never regretted it....

Plus those friggin big mitts of yours going too work with that little thing????

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have had them all and still think the Kahr in any caliber is superior (for me) for pocket carry.

The 380's are tiny. Like REALLY small. The CM/PM9 are the largest 9mm's I will pocket carry and they are the smallest of their class. Good triggers for the style of carry and they have real sights.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Getting complicated now lol. Just get a full size 1911 in 45 and carry that bitch Mexican style in your waist band when your headin to the 7-11 lol.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Getting complicated now lol. Just get a full size 1911 in 45 and carry that bitch Mexican style in your waist band when your headin to the 7-11 lol.
Bahahahaa. I know... Lots of choices! I have been looking at the Kahrs too. I don't have a clue at this point what I want. I guess I'll just have to fondle a bunch of guns and see what I like.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
to bad the government outlawed the import of Saturday night specials like a FIE 25 auto, a really small Galesi 25, a jennings 22LR. For that matter, some of the 32 long old old revolvers like a Hopkins Allen.

Really? For personal defense? a 25 is worse than a 22mag for self defense. At that point you might as well wait the 8-10 minute response time of your local law enforcement.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I agree but after spending an hour looking at Wiki lists of service pistols, there are probably some high end and common exceptions. Ruger, Kimber, etc.

I need a gun for my center console when I'm not carrying but stepping out to get gas or whatever. Nothing fancy.

Look at the Kahrs Beener metioned, S&W shield, Glock 42 or whatever the new tiny one is, Sig P320, etc.

I can't recommend Mexican carry as think of where the barrel is pointed and not covering the trigger guard. If you want to take that risk with your parts including the femoral artery which you will bleed out in about 30 seconds from if you transect go for it, not for me.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Really? For personal defense? a 25 is worse than a 22mag for self defense. At that point you might as well wait the 8-10 minute response time of your local law enforcement.

Don't be dissing my .22 mag now lol
That's one zombie killin mofo!!!!

antiqucycle

East Ohio
A lot of people bit the dust from those $29.95 Saturday Night Specials, so many that there are minimum size limitations now. If a jennings looks too cheap look for Ivor Johnson double action 22lr auto. Its wallet size.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Today I made it to a couple local gun stores and fondled a bunch of tiny handguns. Here is the list of what I checked out... Glock 42, Ruger LCP380, Ruger LCP380 custom, Ruger LC9, SCCY CPX-2, Kimber Micro, Kahr CW380, Springfield XDS, and several Sig Sauer P238's.

Glock 42 - Loved it. Great feeling gun...just felt like it was rugged as a mofo. But maybe just a tad too big for pocket carry (for me personally).

The Rugers - the .380's were definitely small enough but there just wasn't much to them. Very, very light... Like almost too light, if there is such a thing. Just seemed like they would not be fun to shoot. The LC9 was too big. And I'd say I definitely liked the custom LCP over the standard... Better trigger, taller sights, and the one I held had a hogue rubber grip.

SCCY CPX-2 - I was pretty disappointed in this one. Much much bigger than I thought it would be. Double stack mag, so it was quite wide too. And it was ugly... Pear-shaped is the best way to describe it... Skinny up top, fat on the bottom. No way you could pocket carry this gun.

Kimber Micro - it's a Kimber, so yea it was sweet. Expensive and flashy. Nice gun, but not what I'm looking for.

Springfield XDS - very nice gun...rugged...great grip... Just too big for pocket-carrying. It's no smaller than my current EDC, the M&P Shield.

Sig P238 - fucking awesome little guns. I absolutely loved this one. Steel frame though, so fairly heavy. Definitely small enough for pocket carry, but felt much more solid than the other polymer guns. This is a gun you could shoot all day I bet. Very very nice. However it does have a large thumb safety and hammer, and the profile of it made it seem like it'd be more prone to catching on things during a draw. This one had me tempted...

Kahr CW380 - awesome little gun. Great feel, solid, slim, light... Just seemed like a perfect pocket gun. I had a much more solid purchase on the grip with this gun than the Rugers. And I think it seemed slimmer as well. Weight difference was negligible. Very nice trigger as well.

So, I decided to go with the Kahr CW380. I would have brought it home today but the FBI Hotline was down and they couldn't run background checks. So instead I dropped a deposit on it and I'll have to return in a few days to pick it up. I'll follow up with another review after I put some rounds through it.