Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EHD prevention

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I don't understand why your calling me a loser....lol. The opinions posted are exactly what I expected. I found it to be bogus BS. Just couldn't believe the DOD guys would think hunters are stupid enough to believe it.

Just like any company claiming there mineral can put on inches of antler or any supplement company claiming the pill you buy will help you lose weight. It's a market with too many variables hence why it's impossible to prove one way or another. They as a company are playing on the fact that people will buy in hopes it might make deer more healthy. Kind of like us humans taking a multi vitamin.

Same concept you see this in business in different industries all the time!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just like any company claiming there mineral can put on inches of antler or any supplement company claiming the pill you buy will help you lose weight. It's a market with too many variables hence why it's impossible to prove one way or another. They as a company are playing on the fact that people will buy in hopes it might make deer more healthy. Kind of like us humans taking a multi vitamin.

Same concept you see this in business in different industries all the time!

Right on. Problem is, some of this IS factual. While that multivitamin probably helps us we really can't quantify "how much" it helps us. Same goes for deer minerals. Same goes for many things. I am shopping new shop lights. I believe some of them WILL save me electricity and make the shop brighter. Sorting thru the marketing to figure out which one is best is the hard part. No different than minerals EXCEPT while said minerals might help Deer A put on 20% more (which we have no way of knowing if it was the minerals, spring moisture, genetics, etc.), Deer B might only put on 5% more (which we also cannot quantify). We live in a world of marketing. Sorting thru fact, fiction, and hope is the hard part. Hunting is so far skewed from what it used to be and so competitive- People are amply willing to pay for ANY slight edge they can get. I guess at the end of the day we only know in our heart why we hunt and what is most important to us as individuals.

Sorry for my extended hi-jack MB. lol

Also the argument against this product is an easy one, show me results. As stated with every mineral ever, you'll never be able to produce results for wild deer. Even if they proved this worked well in reduce EHD in captive deer, everyone would argue that it might not hold true in wild populations because of X, Y, Z. So out of all the stuff the Drurys support, this is probably better than having to drive a RAM! hahaha

Aaahhh duuuhhh....her dad said so!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Should I keep going or have I made my point about how dishonest this industry is??

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
You went over the edge with the walnut cruncher, that thing has killed more Ohio big bucks than any of those other products combined[emoji23]

Hey don't knock that deer-view-mirror! LOL I think I found the inventor of that one back when I was in college. Found a hunting shack in the middle of a long cut lane (Federal land) that had truck mirrors mounted in it so when you looked in one direction you could easily see over your shoulder in the other, no matter which way you looked LOL!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Any industry that has low to zero barriers to entry are going to have similar bs products.

Let's look at the supplement industry. Any of you all ever get into body budding or power lifting? I used to be into it big, every other month there was a new "safe" product guys would be taking to help them get big. I stuck to hard work and eating and got fairly strong. I don't blame the guys for making a supplement they thought could help guys get swole. They probably made some good coin.

My point is it's about how the industry is structured from a business standpoint.

Look at the home improvement industry. You can see 1000s of ridiculous products that claim to be a better way to clean up leaves, gutters, etc.

Just becaus our egos are involved in hunting we take it personnel. It's not, it's just a business now, that is all.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sorry Al but i have seen first hand how this industry works,who ever writes them the biggest check that is what they will be using,you see so many of these guys on tv switching products from one yr to the next and hell they dont use or believe in half the stuff,just have to make sure it gets commercial time in each show or they get bitched at for not airing something about it from their sponsors.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Sorry Al but i have seen first hand how this industry works,who ever writes them the biggest check that is what they will be using,you see so many of these guys on tv switching products from one yr to the next and hell they dont use or believe in half the stuff,just have to make sure it gets commercial time in each show or they get bitched at for not airing something about it from their sponsors.

I'm not saying they don't do that. I just think we take it so personnel when our entire lives are surrounded by advertising and marketing. When it comes to hunting we don't like it but it's the way of the world now. So I rather try to support those who represent me in a larger light than I will ever represent hunting than knock them down because they are making money hunting.

Now we can get into the fine line of morals vs business practices and how what where can you represent a product of you don't believe in it but that's an entirely different convo.

I'm not arguing what you guys are saying. I get it. I just think we as hunters bash each other way to quickly and that includes the big names as well. We make assumptions and statements with "fact" based opinions. (Yes that last sentence is meant to read contradictory of itself.)

I just rather try to see more good than bad I guess. Glass is half full?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I get it Al. All a matter of perspective. Am I using people because I rent houses? Some of the renters might feel I am using them to pay off a house or make a living. Am I using employees because they work for us and make the company money? I have had former employees say this. It is no different than the Drury's. Are they using the consumer by pimping products? Or are they just paying the bills to achieve a larger platform to help educate people on hunting? Very few know what charities I contribute to or what cash I hand to people in need or which employee was down on their luck when I gave them a job. You just have to know in your heart if you are doing what is right or not. I would guess the Drury's feel they must compromise on some products to pay the bills so they can help others as well. Or. . . . Maybe they are greedy bastards. lol

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I get it Al. All a matter of perspective. Am I using people because I rent houses? Some of the renters might feel I am using them to pay off a house or make a living. Am I using employees because they work for us and make the company money? I have had former employees say this. It is no different than the Drury's. Are they using the consumer by pimping products? Or are they just paying the bills to achieve a larger platform to help educate people on hunting? Very few know what charities I contribute to or what cash I hand to people in need or which employee was down on their luck when I gave them a job. You just have to know in your heart if you are doing what is right or not. I would guess the Drury's feel they must compromise on some products to pay the bills so they can help others as well. Or. . . . Maybe they are greedy bastards. lol

Really well put.