Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Groundhogs 2016

Been slow recently, haven't really seen much all week.... Lots of activity on both farms with plowing planting going on.... Alfalfa fields are getting a little high and some areas if they don't stand up you have a hard time seeing them....

Liking Hoyts shotgun idea lol.... Might walk the tree lines with 3" turkey loads lol.... That would be kinda a trifecta deal lol.... .22 mag .243 then 20ga lol

Time to break out a handgun J. A Ruger Single Six with the mag cylinder was my choice when hunting them at close range. Wish I still had that gun.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well it's been a while since I've pulled the trigger (and hit one) but was out today and watched the fields for about 2 hours and nothing was moving, saw 3 yesterday but were to close to the horses in the pasture to pull the trigger....
Decided to move to another property and was heading too the truck and there was one 30 yards in front of it lol... I was carrying the .243 and had the .22 mag in the backseat but the truck was locked and when I was on the blind side where it couldn't see me I hit the unlock button and the beep beep got its attention and it walked into a thick area....
Put the 243 away and pulled out the 22 and leaned against the truck for a half hour... Sure enough she came back out, I laid down and got a bead on her at 20 yards and pulled the trigger... She didn't move an inch just dropped at the shot.... Female and decent size.....

#8 for the year......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462908383.332248.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462908411.750894.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nice shooting J!

I've said for years that I don't do this because we don't really have that many whistle pigs. That's changing. I may drag the .17 out this summer to hammer a couple.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice shooting J!

I've said for years that I don't do this because we don't really have that many whistle pigs. That's changing. I may drag the .17 out this summer to hammer a couple.

Well it up over a him after shooting the 8th one and was sitting down leaning against a tree while I wrote, kept hearing a chirping sound and would look around when I heard it... Got done with the post and put the phone away and listened to where the sound was coming from.... Finally pin pointed it under a lay down.... Another ground hog watching me watching her lol... Slowly raised the .22 and got her in the crosshairs and she chirped one last time.... About 70 yards from where I sat....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462909554.458017.jpg

#10 is playing peekaboo as I type this.... 50-60 yards from the truck now lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well #10 never reappeared lol.... I'll try for him again later this week.... So far 5 for the .243 and 4 for the .22 mag.... Three misses so far for the .243 and 0 for the .22 mag.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well #10 fell today, it's one a insides a couple of weeks ago and today is the first time I've seen him out again.... He played hide and seek for about 15 minutes but came back out into the plowed field too end the game.... 125 yard shot and never moved an inch.... .243 got its retribution lol.... Sitting here waiting for the one I saw yesterday afternoon too see if he's coming out too play before any of these storms move thru......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462989293.331480.jpg

Hearing some thunder off in the distance so we'll see who wins out.....

Really liking these VMax rounds, this one was turned too mush inside with no exit wound....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I put my foot it and put pressure too see if anything came out... Other than its colon emptying.... That was it....

Waited about 35 minutes over looking the area where the one was that I spotted yesterday after it spotted me first and he decided to come out and tempt fate and he lost.... Wasn't any problems seeing the exit wound on this one as half his innards were external after impact.... 120ish yards, I had to actually switch positions as he came out further down the field than where I saw him yesterday....

TOO give a warm welcome too #11.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462994340.392262.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462994360.373327.jpg

I have yet too have one hit with these VMax bullets and have them move but a few inches.... Three of them have had no exit wound too them and three of them have had major exit wounds vacating the innards they the hole....

There's 3 more here that I have seen and that would pretty much clean them out... Talked too Bob who owns and farms the property and he said don't stop till they're all gone....

I have two more properties I haven't put a dent in yet so I'll work this place until the three I know are gone as well....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Tearing them up, J! Nice work!

Now that I've got a handle on the long range and short range with the .243 I'm getting way more comfortable with the shots.... I've still got that one out there close too 500 yards and once the first cut of hay comes off (mid June timeframe) I'll get another crack at him..... That's my current goal as of now, too take that one and it's going too have too be ideal conditions too do it lol.....

Corn will be planted in front of that spot so I'll have too deal with the knee high corn come July....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Keep after that goal, it'll happen!

I'm tickled pink that I made a connecting shot over 300!!!! If it stops at that this year I'm a happy man right there lol.... But thanks for the encouragement buddy..... I'm having a good time being out and just watching fields and tree lines....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
300 is a hell of a shot! And if it takes ya til next year to get that 500 yarder then oh well, your having fun and that's all that counts!