Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Metal Detecting.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Went back to the one spot this evening instead of hunting in this heat. More modern clad. 1964 Nickle, 1980 quarter, and a stinkn Lincoln. Most dimes and quarters that I've found have clustered around 74-80 but the nickle and pennies have some pre 65. This tells me the coins were likely dropped around 1980-81 and by then the silver was well hoarded. Time for a new spot.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looked at some old maps and found where an old mill and a train depot was located in 1874. Gave it a shot but it's been a remote parking area for public access for the past 50 years. Found what i believe to be the old mill site by the old bricks scattered about. like i thought though the place was trashy as all get out and must have been a popular dump spot in the 70s.

I did roll a coin out of a hole and brushed it off to see 1861 on it. Another brush revealed it was a a modern 1981 nickel. Damn date was upside-down. Lmao.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The 1894 map I've been looking at shows a railroad depot. The depot is long gone and the tracks rerouted. In the mid 60s some development was done so it may have all been leveled and cleared but i thought it worth a shot. I found two pieces of old copper about 6 inches down, one looks like an old wall sconce and the other is not identifiable. They should be period correct and tells me the ground wasn't cleared or hunted. Worth some additional hunts.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
The 1894 map I've been looking at shows a railroad depot. The depot is long gone and the tracks rerouted. In the mid 60s some development was done so it may have all been leveled and cleared but i thought it worth a shot. I found two pieces of old copper about 6 inches down, one looks like an old wall sconce and the other is not identifiable. They should be period correct and tells me the ground wasn't cleared and it likely hasn't been hunted. Worth some additional hunts.

Looks like a promising piece if ground. Will be very interesting to see what all you pull out of there.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well. That site appears to be a bust. I went back and hit the whole little woodlot today. After not finding much in the way of sign, old bricks, depressions, etc I flipped over to all metal to hunt some nails. Everything i pulled was round nails and not square telling me its all post 1900. It appears as though the land was cleared in the 60s. I did find my first ever hot rock, about blew my ears out and throws a high tone. One 1980 stinking Lincoln in the middle of freaking nowhere about 5 inches down, they're like the herpes of detecting. Oh and a piece of copper pipe.

Back to the map and on to the next spot.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dang man thought you may have found a good property.
I did to. Thats the way it goes. I enjoy the history research and map digging to find a new spot then going and hunting it. Very similar to deer hunting in many aspects.

I've been messing around with this hot rock.

It's non magnetic which rules out a high iron content.

Doesn't mark paper which rules out lead.

Doesn't have continuity on my volt meter so it's not conductive.

Rings up in the dime & quarter range on my detector.

Is heavier than a rock its size should be. And has kind of a ring to it when dropped almost like petrified wood does.

It doesn't have any green on it so that rules out a high copper content.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ok i took a file to the edge and its some kind of shiny white metal.

Doesn't mark so not lead
No rust and not magnetic so not steel or iron
Doubtful its silver as that usually comes out mostly shiny
Leaning towards melted aluminum now.