Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

P&Y FINALLY acknowledges GROSS score!!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My good friend Stacey's thoughts on the subject that I totally agree with......

Gross score is all anyone cares about anymore. It's a shame they made the mistake of not have it the final score for the records years ago, when it all started.
Net score could have been added later as to if someone wanted to picture the animal as symmetrical.
I bet if gross score was the final recorded score.... No one would have ever cared about net!

All the measurements are recorded in entries of the clubs....I would love to see them recalculate all entry's in the books. Update them to gross score. Then, we will see the real trophies.
We can only imagine how many more entry's they would get per year. Not to mention all the money that the clubs would make. Which leads me to believe, good chance that money is the true driving force for the change.
Who cares, the animal should be awarded for what he grew!!!
And that is what we want to see!
Yep Ric, about dang time!

To those who oppose!
A buck that is very symmetrical except has his G2 broke off at the base.....the other G2 is 16" long. He's a world class animal......for the record books he NET scores the same wether that remaining G2 is there or not...(likely 32" less)
He looks odd though, Let's break off that remaining 16" G2 and call him symmetrical.
What a shame!!!!!

I had to post this last little bit.....he knows how I can be! LMAO......YKW

Ok, I'm done. Thought I was Ric for a minute!!!! Lmao
Sorry Ric!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
That's the way it should've always been. If a deer has 150 inches of horn on his head, how do you take inches away from him. I think this is a great move, I'm just suprised it took this long!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I agree with everyone here! The idiot that came up with subtracting side to side symmetry differences lives in a perfect world!
We all know it's far from it. I saw a huge buck in Derry's taxi studio once. Huge framed buck with an 80" 6 point typical side and another 70" plus on the other. However, the 70 plus side was so differently symmetrical to its counterpart. Instead of making B&C easily, it net scored 133"! Lol.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I agree with everyone here! The idiot that came up with subtracting side to side symmetry differences lives in a perfect world!
We all know it's far from it. I saw a huge buck in Derry's taxi studio once. Huge framed buck with an 80" 6 point typical side and another 70" plus on the other. However, the 70 plus side was so differently symmetrical to its counterpart. Instead of making B&C easily, it net scored 133"! Lol.

I believe Bernie Sanders came up with that system.... you kill 190", he gives you 130"!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
On a similar but unrelated subject: Why does B&C and P&Y not recognize an 8 point world record, 10 pt WR, 12 pt WR and so on? Doesn't this make sense? For example a 140" 8 pt is way more impressive than a 140" 10 or 12. What about 120" P&Y minimum for an 8 pt? 125" for a 10, 130" for a 12? It takes a real nice 8 to make P&Y but about any typical 12 will make it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Even worse than the gross / net controversy is scoring bucks as "irregular" to knock them from the records. 1995 the Tony Fulton buck shot in Mississippi had 48 points of which they considered 40 of them irregular that added up to 160 inches. The buck scored 321 7/8 inches a full three inches bigger then the world record hole in the horn buck. Boone and crocket scored it 295 disallowing the "irregular" points.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459462367.592036.jpg