Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail Cameras and Power Sources

Everyday we get quite a few folks inquiring about batteries, both internal and external sources. Which are most cost effective? Last the longest? Perform best? etc etc... With so many of us running cams 365 as tools to increase our odds come fall, I thought this thread would be great to offer some insight and user experience on this topic. This is NOT intended as an Exodus thread, but a thread for ALL brands of cameras, batteries, and places to purchase. We all know running a number of cameras can become costly and demand plenty of our time, hopefully this thread can offer us some value and/or tips about power sources to become more effiecient.

I know some may have already read this, however it's a good place to get things kicked offhttp://exodusoutdoorgear.com/blogs/news/83515846-the-science-of-trail-camera-batteries

With all the ingenuitive folks here, this should be a great thread!!

Last edited:
In all of my AA battery cameras I still choose to use Energizers or Duracell standard alkaline. For me it's been the best choice so far since the cameras I have that use them seem to last long enough even with plenty of pictures under them. The biggest problem has been cameras that last longer than a year without having to do a warranty exchange. I've thought of getting rechargeable batteries but the idea of handling and trying to recharge a hundred AA batteries seems like a daunting task. The idea of having rechargeable batteries and having a solar charger would be something I'd consider though if the solar charger were universal enough that could be used on other cameras after they take a crap.

The one camera I have that still blows my mind is my old BuckeyeCam which is still running to this day after many many years of year round camera operation. I originally bought two batteries for it and a solar charger. Since then I bought a third battery only after did I discover a squirrel had chewed through the solar panel cable so I actually still have 3 working batteries. The biggest disadvantage is the size of it all. Massive camera box and the solar panel is just as large. I never did try to set it up to go wireless, something that was never an option due to substantial added cost and all the set-up concerns.

If there were a way to have one of these smaller cameras (these days) with a very common battery pack (available just about anywhere) and have the option of a solar charger that is relatively small that is something I'd look at as long as the camera is reliable. Add in reliable cellular service and it might be a game changer for me.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
What are you typically buying? Brand, Type, Cost, and from where? Have you played with any externals?

I buy Energizer AA 48/package for appx $18 at Sams Club. I have never tried externals.

I have put Lithiums in my Lift cams as you suggested. You also told me that they always read 100% until they go dead. They have lasted much longer. What concerns me is going to the camera and it finally being dead and missing out on a week's worth of pics.

I buy Energizer AA 48/package for appx $18 at Sams Club. I have never tried externals.

I have put Lithiums in my Lift cams as you suggested. You also told me that they always read 100% until they go dead. They have lasted much longer. What concerns me is going to the camera and it finally being dead and missing out on a week's worth of pics.

Same thing as I do. 48 pack at BJ's at about the same cost. But, alkalines die way to easily once winter comes. I normally pull my cameras the week of gun season anyways. My buddy runs Lithiums and runs into the problem you mentioned. The batteries may say 100% on Saturday and be dead on the next Tuesday. A month later he checks his camera to find it was dead for the last 4 weeks. I may run one camera all next winter with Lithiums to see how they perform. But come spring I'll go back to my BJ's Duracells.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Dick, are you talking about the BJ's in North Canton? We are members there, I don't go there very often but sounds like I'll have to start getting my batteries there. Hell my work is only 5 minutes away.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What are you typically buying? Brand, Type, Cost, and from where? Have you played with any externals?

Like Mike, I typically buy bulk (Amazon or Home Depot) because all 7 cameras I am running, use AA batteries. I chose Rayovac or the Amazon brand which I think is made by Duracell. I think I'm paying around $13-14 for 36 batteries. I tried rechargeables a few years back and they were junk. I don't like external batteries because it's more stuff to keep track of, hide and get stolen. The best batteries ever were the rechargeable 12V batteries that went in my Buckeye Cams. I wish all cameras had the longevity of the BEC's. My best running cam battery wise is the Browning Strike Forces. I get roughly 8-9K pics on a set of batteries, or 6 months. My one BEC took 150K pics one summer on one battery for comparison.

I just buy the cheapest AA batteries I can get and roll that way for simplicity's sake.

One thing I hate about AA batteries is dropping them. I had a couple cameras I put on tree mounts this past season that were hard to reach, had to use a short ladder for one, and boy what a pain in the ass trying to put 12 new batteries in them without dropping them. Of course I could always take the camera down to do it but that would be just too easy wouldn't it?! LOL

Yep, that's the downfall...When I first made the switch I tried to keep a picture count so I had a rough idea when to change batteries. Turned out to be impossible with multiple cameras and a huge pain. I usually just throw in a new set in every camera in Sept and then again in Jan. This gets me through the season and then through post season surveys with confidence. All the batteries with unknown life end up in our junk drawer in the kitchen..haha

Like Mike, I typically buy bulk (Amazon or Home Depot) because all 7 cameras I am running, use AA batteries. I chose Rayovac or the Amazon brand which I think is made by Duracell. I think I'm paying around $13-14 for 36 batteries. I tried rechargeables a few years back and they were junk. I don't like external batteries because it's more stuff to keep track of, hide and get stolen. The best batteries ever were the rechargeable 12V batteries that went in my Buckeye Cams. I wish all cameras had the longevity of the BEC's. My best running cam battery wise is the Browning Strike Forces. I get roughly 8-9K pics on a set of batteries, or 6 months. My one BEC took 150K pics one summer on one battery for comparison.

I just buy the cheapest AA batteries I can get and roll that way for simplicity's sake.

Don't rule out Ebay. Every once in a while we find Lithiums on there for $1 or less per battery...not that often but usually a couple times a year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA-Energize...249114?hash=item3f6056ecda:g:2iUAAOSwAvJXAiNO

Francis

Geauga
Chad prob don't remember meeting me, but I met you at the ATA show with Jeff and Zach. I help them guys out at the shop and do some hunting together. Cool to see you on here.

Chad prob don't remember meeting me, but I met you at the ATA show with Jeff and Zach. I help them guys out at the shop and do some hunting together. Cool to see you on here.

Hey my man... Awesome to see you on here as well! I do remember meeting you but if I saw you on the street I would have no idea...haha. Hope everything at Great Lakes is going well. I think the NE Ohio QDMA is holding a few seminars up there so I'm sure we'll run into each other.