Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fertilizer for food plots-where to buy?

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
I'm starting food plots for the first time and am looking for advice on places to buy fertilizer and lime in NE Ohio (Ashtabula county or nearby). I called my nearest Western Reserve Co-op retail store and the person who answered was not helpful - told me essentially the same stuff that I see at the big box stores. I called the Jefferson feed mill but no answer. Here's what I'm hoping for:

-Bagged product (50 lbs or so) - the plots will be small and deep in the woods, so am looking for something that I can transport on an ATV
-Custom mix fertilizer - I have soil test results with recommended amounts (the big box store stuff doesn't get close to what I need)
-A place that will also sell pelletized lime in 50 lb bags

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
how much lime? If you are only buying pellet lime, ask for discount at TSC. They will give you 5% off which will bring price down for you if you buy more than 20 bags. Most co ops are selling to farmers and don't want to deal with the hassle of a few bags here and there so I haven't seen a huge discount on lime prices.

FERT is something that is always tougher to find. What fert is your soil test calling for? I always have luck in New Philly area but that might be a drive for you.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
how much lime? If you are only buying pellet lime, ask for discount at TSC. They will give you 5% off which will bring price down for you if you buy more than 20 bags. Most co ops are selling to farmers and don't want to deal with the hassle of a few bags here and there so I haven't seen a huge discount on lime prices.

FERT is something that is always tougher to find. What fert is your soil test calling for? I always have luck in New Philly area but that might be a drive for you.
Where are you getting fertilizer in new Philly?

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio

Thanks for the tip on TSC. I need about 1,500 lbs so will try that.

Tests are calling for 60-100-110.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I'll have to check it out. I usually get my fertilizer at Mt Eaton elevator.

that might be better yet. I am working with Belmont Mills for some Lime as well and they've been very very helpful. I am talking to them as well. I am going to text you tomorrow, probably get that stand Thursday if you can make that happen.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
that might be better yet. I am working with Belmont Mills for some Lime as well and they've been very very helpful. I am talking to them as well. I am going to text you tomorrow, probably get that stand Thursday if you can make that happen.
Ok sounds good

angelzd28

Been to Ag-land co-op plenty of times throughout the years, with my old man. Although I haven't been in there in a couple years. I'm thinking I might try Jesse's mineral mix that was mentioned on the other thread, instead of buying Lucky Buck like I have been.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A bit unrelated, but 6-24-24 is one of the most under utilized fertilizers out there. Trees, shrubs, fall application to help the root structure of your lawn. . . .

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A bit unrelated, but 6-24-24 is one of the most under utilized fertilizers out there. Trees, shrubs, fall application to help the root structure of your lawn. . . .

Yep, it's surprising how many people prefer their grass to grow really fast in wet weather and turn brown in dry.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep, it's surprising how many people prefer their grass to grow really fast in wet weather and turn brown in dry.

YES! I have not done any research on this for clover and foodplots. I do know lawns. Do your research first, but. . . I would "think" a shot of 6-24-24 on a clover plot would be excellent for root development going into winter. I don't like to mow my personal lawn anymore than I have to because I am on everyone else's lawn. I DO give it a shot of 6-24-24 in the fall though. The 24-24 portion is great for root development. With 3 kids and 2 dogs, our lawn takes a beating. It needs help. I also carry a bag in the spring and fall and grab a handful to spread at the bases of my pine trees and other trees at my "tree farm". The tallest trees are only about waist high. I'd imagine mature trees would need more. For my trees, it seems to help a good bit. Any of you guys trying to get trees established might look into it. Even landscape plants that aren't weathering well could benefit from this 6-24-24 right now.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
there was just an episode on Midwest whitetails with this guy from WV. He manages like 240 acres of orchard. He talked about using triple 19 on trees and urea but I am not 100% my memory serves me right. Might want to check it out for your self.

Here is my opinion on FERT for food plots, can anyone tell me if I am wrong.

1. Most plots call for little to no nitrogen as most of the time guys are plating legumes
2. Most like to avoid nitrogen in plots fertilizer as they believe it will promote weed growth.
3. Mostly I plant RR beans and spray them
4. Therefore I buy a good bit of FERT with low N and high P and K. I apply heavy and spray weeds later.

This seems to have worked for me in the past, I haven't gone exactly as what the soil tests recommend as that can get costly and I am just planting plots!!

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
500 lbs per acre of 10-20-20 or 400 of 6-24-24 will get you close, you can come back with a little urea (46-0-0) later if you think you need it.

Any tips on where to buy? Online searches don't show much. Or are those blends ready available at a co op?
Thanks for the help.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Any tips on where to buy? Online searches don't show much. Or are those blends ready available at a co op?
Thanks for the help.

Those should be readily available at most farm supply businesses. I'm in southern Mahoning co so I'm not real familiar with Ashtabula suppliers other than Western Reserve. In my area I'd call Greier's Ag center, Witmer's Feed, or Agland. Ask for a price on X # of bags of which ever analysis you want. Most places the person answering the phone isn't real knowledgable so if you call already knowing what you want you just get to the business of getting a good price.