Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Homemade Mineral Mix and Site Prep

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Not a fan of the dried molasses. It urns into a mess once wet and the deer seem to be turned off by it. Gets a funky smell to it.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Someday I'll try this mix, just can't get away with dropping $130 at once on minerals right now. Just got my turkey paid off lol

I use this same mixture, Trace mineral 100 pounds around 12, salt 50 lbs around 5, dical like 20-25, I either throw in dried molasses or koolaid.... that 200 pounds lasts me a year at all 4 of my mineral sites. cost- under $50

angelzd28

Just picked up the DIY recipe that was posted by Tim from the local feed store, 1 #50 bag of the DI-cal, and 2 #50 bags each of the trace mineral and stock salt. Total spent was $58. The one difference is they gave me trace salt with selenium in it. I was wondering what everyone's thought was on Selenium? I have been doing research and the "experts" say it can be toxic in large quantities, but is ok and actually needed in trace amounts. I actually found an old TOO article by Jesse from 2011 where he states that there would need to be a large amount to of Selenium to make it harmful. What say you TOO world?