Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bigslams 2016 Turkeys

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Turkeys almost always go to fields when it rains Chad. Don't ask me why, they just do.
They don't like getting their feathers wet in the woods, and they can't hear very well in the woods when it rains. Out in the fields they can use their tremendous eyesight.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1461375203684.jpg

"The Untouchables"

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
5 strutters in that flock. Had one with a rope that rivaled the bird I killed last year at 20 yards today, but he was behind brush, 5 more steps and he would of been dead granted I didn't miss again Lol. I was all drawn back and waiting for him to step out, his sixth sense must of told him to turn around.

Last edited:

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
With a boom stick your done for the season. Right?????

Stick with the stick and string and I guarantee we'll see you with feathers in front of you LOL.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
With a boom stick your done for the season. Right?????

Stick with the stick and string and I guarantee we'll see you with feathers in front of you LOL.
If I would of been hunting with a shotgun I'd of been tagged out by Tuesday. Bowhunting turkeys is tough, now I got the bright idea of trying to kill one without using a blind, damn near did it today. I limited my calling alot today and didn't use decoys, the first calls I made were 2 soft yelp sequences at 9:30 to lure that big one in off his two hens, I'm going to do the same tomorrow.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
You're having fun right now, and we're having fun following along. Mrex said the hardest way to kill a turkey was with a bow and no blind and I believe him! Good luck man, the odds are against you but I know that's what drives you to finish what you started! Good luck!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
You're having fun right now, and we're having fun following along. Mrex said the hardest way to kill a turkey was with a bow and no blind and I believe him! Good luck man, the odds are against you but I know that's what drives you to finish what you started! Good luck!
All I can think about is how sweet it's going to be if I can get it done. That's what gets me up in the mornings after I've only slept 3 hours[emoji3] my gopro is mounted on my stabilizer so hopefully I can get it on video.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've noticed that on monday, Tuesday, and Thursday when I would start challenging the hens with my calling that they would lead all the gobblers in the opposite direction. Now I haven't been turkey hunting very long and never really had a flock to chase after. That's why I shut up this morning. Any thoughts on that, Aaron?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Nope, they act different daily, its like checking their temperature, if their hot you can pour it on and let the fun begin! The last two hours before noon or the last week of season are my favorite times as far as good opportunities to work birds to death row.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Nope, they act different daily, its like checking their temperature, if their hot you can pour it on and let the fun begin! The last two hours before noon or the last week of season are my favorite times as far as good opportunities to work birds to death row.
I've also been liking the time of 9:30-12. The birds I'm after leave the hens and get in a bachelor group. Fuggers were gobbling like crazy this morning. About the checking the temp, every time I got aggressive on the call they would gobble, but not commit. The damn hens had them by their balls. Hopefully that changes soon when they start nesting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice! Glad I had a chance to read some of this. Good luck brother! Drawing a bow is tough. It's tougher if you have Chad's 57" DL. Lol

For what it is worth, I'm a fan of no calling and no decoys. After chasing these birds for a few years I realized a few things. When a bird came to my call, most times they were on high alert and looking hard for any movement. Somewhat like a deer does coming to a grunt tube. And, like you stated, they would gobble like crazy at my calls, but not commit. About 8-10 years ago I packed away my calls, gave away my decoys, and started to consistently kill birds. I found that patterning the birds and hunting ambush style works best for me. I know my guys are purist and only shoot birds that are called in and probably frown on my style of turkey hunting.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
For what it is worth, I'm a fan of no calling and no decoys. After chasing these birds for a few years I realized a few things. When a bird came to my call, most times they were on high alert and looking hard for any movement. Somewhat like a deer does coming to a grunt tube. And, like you stated, they would gobble like crazy at my calls, but not commit. About 8-10 years ago I packed away my calls, gave away my decoys, and started to consistently kill birds. I found that patterning the birds and hunting ambush style works best for me. I know my guys are purist and only shoot birds that are called in and probably frown on my style of turkey hunting.
I don't frown upon it. I did an ambush style hunt yesterday and I missed the bird, set up where I saw them go all week, never called to this bird or had any decoys out.