Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need advice on hunting some private land 140 acres

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
IMO, if you want to kill a good buck, stay E of the creek until late October. Hunt smart with the wind and use those field edges to kill a doe. Looks like a good place for a blind with the tough wind directions.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
So, you mean to put a tree stand on the thin strip of trees on left edge of "C" and hunt what comes into the C field? The C field will have the shortest grasses. I'm told that the deer like to walk along the tree edge straight north on the C field as well.

My guess is a lot of the information you're getting about deer travel is coming from the house area. That will not necessarily let you know what's really going on. Definitely use what the land owner is telling you. But get out there and add your own assessment to the mix.
Deer like creeks and after they search 1 woods for a hot doe, they will follow the thick stuff towards the next woods I would try to get in that bottle neck and be able to shoot both W and E..
I am not saying rely on that one spot. I would try and hang at least three or four to allow for different wind directions.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know where you are located. In my area, 6' tall grasses tend to be prime bedding areas. Mind blown at the deer I see leaving these areas. I would get out on foot and see where the main travel corridors are. There may be a slightly lower elevation point thru the grasses where deer like to cross them. Figure out where they are bedding by their trails and matted down grass areas. Think of where they are going to from any bedding areas you find. You may want to be set up where winds favor you, in an area the deer will exit bedding and head to food. This time of the year is the BEST time to find such areas in my opinion. Leaves are off. Grasses are beat down. Trails are easy to find. One other thought: walk the creek and see where they are crossing it. Muddy trails will be very visible right now. They will tell you a lot.