Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jason's Fishing 2016

Jason Short

Wayne County
I know this is mostly a hunting forum but I'll be posting some pics from my bass fishing trips this year. While I love hunting and spend a lot of time doing it, bass fishing is what I really enjoy the most. I fish some small tournaments throughout the year and go fishing every weekend. I mostly fish the MWCD lakes on weekends and small ponds during the week when I have time. I hit a public pond up right after school today and caught this one on a crankbait up close to the bank. This is the first one I've caught this year and it was a great way to start. I guessed it right around 5 pounds but I'm probably wrong lol. Anyway I'll try to keep this thread updated once the season really gets going.

IMG_20160229_165215724.jpg

Jason Short

Wayne County
Me and a buddy hit up this same pond again today. I caught a small one right off the bat but then didn't get another bite for a long time. When I did it broke me off on the hookset, line must have been frayed from the rocks. My crankbait floated to the top though and I was able to get it back. About an hour later I cast to the same spot and the fish bit again. It took off and I had her for a few seconds before she pulled off, it felt like a pretty good one. Fish won and I went home lol

Jason Short

Wayne County
Well my buddy texted me and said he ended up catching the one I lost after I left on a spinnerbait, 4.5 to 5 pounder. It's about to let loose in these ponds next week, then the lakes should get hot in a few weeks as well if this warming trend continues. I can't wait

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I know this is mostly a hunting forum but I'll be posting some pics from my bass fishing trips this year. While I love hunting and spend a lot of time doing it, bass fishing is what I really enjoy the most. I fish some small tournaments throughout the year and go fishing every weekend. I mostly fish the MWCD lakes on weekends and small ponds during the week when I have time. I hit a public pond up right after school today and caught this one on a crankbait up close to the bank. This is the first one I've caught this year and it was a great way to start. I guessed it right around 5 pounds but I'm probably wrong lol. Anyway I'll try to keep this thread updated once the season really gets going.

View attachment 42369

That's a really good fish Jason! Congrats!!!

Jason Short

Wayne County
Got out with my buddy for our first lake trip of the year and it was a beautiful day to do it! Last year it was 20 degrees on our first trip so today was much nicer lol. Anyway the water was a little high and stained but not too bad overall. It was a slow day, I caught three and my buddy got none, but I'm not complaining for early March! I caught two little guys and one half decent one. Here's the biggest of the day, not a monster but I'd be happy to have it in a tournament

Salt Fork.jpg

Jason Short

Wayne County
I hit up a public pond again tonight for a couple hours after school. I ended up with three which isn't bad for this pond as there aren't that many bass in it from what I've seen. The ones in there are good sized though. Here's two of the ones I caught, they were really swallowing the spinnerbait.

IMG_20160316_170214931.jpg

IMG_20160316_172208791.jpg

IMG_20160316_172201519.jpg

Jason Short

Wayne County
Hit Shreve Lake tonight after school and caught 6 bass and a few bluegill. They were biting the spinnerbait again and I caught three on that and then caught a couple more while I was bluegill fishing. I started fishing and within about 10 minutes caught this 4ish pounder off one of the few remaining pieces of cover since they are draining the lake.

IMG_20160317_161640521_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160317_161556819.jpg

Then a few minutes later I caught this ugly little sucker haha

IMG_20160317_161942154.jpg

The other bass I caught were about the size of that little one, just not as skinny

Jason Short

Wayne County
I went to Salt Fork again yesterday afternoon and fished in the cold and rain for about 5 hours without getting one bite. Then today after church me and a buddy hit Pleasant Hill for about 6 hours. I had a good largemouth pull off a few feet from the boat and my buddy caught two, which wasn't terrible for the horrible conditions. He got one smallmouth and one largemouth.

IMG_20160320_174018311.jpg

IMG_20160320_185235062_HDR.jpg

Jason Short

Wayne County
This is the one I deleted...

I went to Atwood today to do a little shore fishing since we have the week off for spring break. I caught four and lost two little ones. They were up shallow on the rip-rap around the dam and biting moving baits, crankbait, jerkbait, and spinnerbait. The biggest one was about 4 pounds and the other three were little.

Atwood 4lber.jpg
Atwood 4lber (same fish).jpg

IMG_20160322_110336963.jpg

IMG_20160322_134624431.jpg

Jason Short

Wayne County
I got out and fished a pond for a couple hours again today and caught 5. Four little guys and one that was probably 3.5 to 4 pounds. They were all caught on a weightless stickworm pitched around shallow brush. I think I'm done for the week until Sunday when me and my buddy might hit Pleasant Hill again.

IMG_20160323_130006014.jpg
IMG_20160323_130032546_HDR.jpg

Jason Short

Wayne County
Me and my buddy hit Pleasant Hill for a while yesterday afternoon. The fishing was real slow but we managed to catch a couple just before we had to leave. I caught one on a crankbait and it slipped out of my hand sending the hook deep into my finger. We used the braided line trick and it popped right out without too much pain. Here's the one I caught and my finger.
IMG_20160327_182827173_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160327_182833958_TOP.jpg