Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bow dry fire

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I dry fired my Bowtech Admiral back in the day after the shop I bought it from set it up wrong. Regardless, it was my fault it was dry fired. It bent the axles and ruined the string. Luckily, there was an issue with the early cams having shallow string tracks, so I got everything replaced for free.

Hope you didn't tear the limbs up!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Hate to hear it but it's one of those things that happens whether you just start with little inexperience or if you shoot long enough it seems. My cousin dry fired his Darton Renegade during our winter indoor league right next to me on the line. I would have bet my life it was a 12ga shotgun.

I dry fired my 2010 Diamond Black Ice 2 years ago in the back yard practicing. I couldn't believe it happened, was actually dumbfounded for a minute. I was hesitant to shoot another arrow. No damage observed, so I replaced the string and was the first to pull it back at the store. Got lucky nothing was wrong. She's still slinging arrows today.

Glad you are ok!

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
well took it to the shop, and...nothing was wrong with it!!!

I didn't totally dry fire it but still was being stupid/cocky and it hit harder than it should. I never have done it in years of bow hunting, and it won't happen again.

I got fuggen lucky!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Isn't it weird,odd or interesting knowing that something as light as an arrow being nocked on a bows string absorbs enough energy to keep the limbs from blowing up or breaking. I guess that the reason, not much of a physics guy!

Anyhow, I hope your bow is okay and glad you're okay Al!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Isn't it weird,odd or interesting knowing that something as light as an arrow being nocked on a bows string absorbs enough energy to keep the limbs from blowing up or breaking. I guess that the reason, not much of a physics guy!

Anyhow, I hope your bow is okay and glad you're okay Al!

Thanks buddy. I just got lucky. Plain and simple. I'll never be that fuggin dumb again.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
This is sure good news Al. Don't be so hard on yourself. The learning curve is a little rough sometimes. We have all done stupid stuff in one form or another. By admitting it, you just may have helped some people reading
learn "What not to do". Glad your alright man!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
This is sure good news Al. Don't be so hard on yourself. The learning curve is a little rough sometimes. We have all done stupid stuff in one form or another. By admitting it, you just may have helped some people reading
learn "What not to do". Glad your alright man!

aint that the truth! Guys if you want to check cam timing, don't try to be the hulk and do it by hand, you'll feel like a fuggin idiot when you break your bow.