Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spencie's 2016 Turkeys

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Here's a pic of Stubby.
LIFT0093.jpg

This is the most regular Tom so far.
HUNT0019.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Mike, you always have killer strut pics. What are you looking for when finding a cam set? Obviously you have some time tested setups, what do you think makes them good spots annually?

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Mike, you always have killer strut pics. What are you looking for when finding a cam set? Obviously you have some time tested setups, what do you think makes them good spots annually?

I have one spot that is a short ridge top between a roosting area and food plot about 150 yards long. It is open woods but steep on both sides. It is a perfect natural strut zone. They can see forever and gobbles can be heard for a long way.

This same ridge splits at the end creating 2 points that end up about 150 yards apart one flat down. We have a 4 wheeler path that wraps all the way around this ridge. I have cams set up on both of these points along the 4 wheeler path. These 3 spots have been money for the cams.

I have cams in the food plots and all other points too and get some good shots there but not as consistent. There has been a lot of trial and error. It helps to have many cams out. I set my cams really low for turkey pics and clear all brush and weeds out of the way for the perfect shot. I have even taken a chainsaw and weedeater out to make the site more camera friendly.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
You may get more full strut pics and videos in a year than most guys will in a lifetime! Well done sir!

I had 690 pics (3 shot burst) in a 48 hour period, almost all were full strut but most were so close to the cam all you could see was head and half of tail. The infra-red pics are cool in my opinion.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I had 690 pics (3 shot burst) in a 48 hour period, almost all were full strut but most were so close to the cam all you could see was head and half of tail. The infra-red pics are cool in my opinion.
I like those infrared pics, don't see many of those! That's when you know your camera is in the right spot.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I like it when you post your turkey videos, some of the best I've ever seen.

Thanks, I am kind of obsessed. Years ago I was watching one of Jim Shockey's shows where he and his cameraman were having a "perfect shot" competition. They each set the other up on a deer hunt and ran the camera trying to get the "perfect" camera shot. Since that show I have looked at my camera set-ups differently, always wanting something more...action, lighting, angle, background, etc. I have hundreds of videos that I haven't posted and thousands that have been deleted because they just didn't have the "wow" factor.

Sometimes I feel like I'm posting too many videos because there isn't a lot of response but I can't help but share them. I'm very fortunate to be able to have many cams and the batteries to run them all.