Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What recourse do you have??

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
It looks a lot better than what this guy on FB got back and he had no complaints.

Fletch

Supporting Member
First off congrat's on a gorgeous buck... The mount really isn't that bad at all. I've seen a lot worse that were done by "professional's". Right off the bat, the square jaw area and the hump behind the head are probably not the taxidermists fault. It's the form you picked out. Cause when the hide is stretched over the form, that's the shape it's going to take. I doubt he took the time to alter the form. Did you research the form and see what it looked like?? As for the white in the ear's. Was it an early season bow kill when he had his summer coat? If so the hair in the ears was still probably thin. If this is still an issue take it back and ask him to darken it up a little with an air brush. Go back and look at some of your pic's when you harvested him and check the ears out. But again gorgeous buck..

Just 1 More

First off congrat's on a gorgeous buck... The mount really isn't that bad at all. I've seen a lot worse that were done by "professional's". Right off the bat, the square jaw area and the hump behind the head are probably not the taxidermists fault. It's the form you picked out. Cause when the hide is stretched over the form, that's the shape it's going to take. I doubt he took the time to alter the form. Did you research the form and see what it looked like?? As for the white in the ear's. Was it an early season bow kill when he had his summer coat? If so the hair in the ears was still probably thin. If this is still an issue take it back and ask him to darken it up a little with an air brush. Go back and look at some of your pic's when you harvested him and check the ears out. But again gorgeous buck..
I disagree, I've spoke with my taxi back in Fl and he said that pretty much all GOOD taxi's will massage the forms to make them right, The form is just a platform to work from. If the guy knew what he was doing or cared to take the time to do it right, He would have "massaged" the form to make it look right

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
All the taxi needed to do was sculpt in the huge dent and sand it smooth which wouldn't have taken him that long. It's called being a professional taxidermist. If all taxi's mounted the animals as if they were their own or to be judged for all the world to see there would prolly be less of these bad mounts. Sure we've all seen worse but it doesn't mean that this mounts okay or suitable! It's apparent many taxis out there care nothing about what their work looks like or making their customers happy and that's pretty sad.

The other details are noticible but not as blatant as the huge dent!

Last edited:

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
You have been given a lot of good advice. At this point the color problems can be easily fixed I would take it back and express your concerns to him. And for the record any customers of mine that request that form the first thing I do is cut the head off and replace it. Then I rebuild the neck adding some contours, so you don't get that stove pipe look.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I had a bad experience with a guy that may be operating east of columbus. My 14 year old shot a buck that weighed 198 gutted on an early youth hunt at Mosquito in the rut. Huge neck. Got the mount back with a doe size neck. One of his relatives helped me skinning the buck for his cousin the taxi. They used my hide on a poached buck that the taxi ruined.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I had a bad experience with a guy that may be operating east of columbus. My 14 year old shot a buck that weighed 198 gutted on an early youth hunt at Mosquito in the rut. Huge neck. Got the mount back with a doe size neck. One of his relatives helped me skinning the buck for his cousin the taxi. They used my hide on a poached buck that the taxi ruined.
Why was the taxi working with a poached buck, where was the 18 digit number?

jlane

dunn nc
the worst part i see is the form is too big for the hide,look at the brisket, it;s pulled way too high up the neck, do you know if it was tanned or dry preserved, he may have let the hide dry too much before mounting it ,therefore he should have resoaked it and restreatch to pull the hide lower on the shoulders, i did taxadermy for about 10 years, he possibally could resoak and remount if it was done by liqua-tan, if it has not dried out completly and do a different form,may be too late,lots of if here, does he send his hides out to be tanned, my taxy stitches in a label then puts in a salt brine to send them out to be tanned,