Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Belmont County

livetohunt228

Hi! I was hoping my fellow hunters could provide me with some additional info. I've done as much research as I can but figured who better to get some additional info then the actual hunters themselves. I've done much of my hunting in NE Ohio but have a chance to lease a property on the Jefferson/Belmont County line near Harrisville. I was wondering from hunters who hunt the area what shape the herd is in as far as numbers and what the buck potential is? Trying to target only mature deer and was curious what the area is putting out? I understand it can depend on the habitat and management practices of the tract. I'm sure some won't like this post but was hoping for a little help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

livetohunt228

I've hunted Jefferaon county my whole life. You nailed it when you said habitat/property. We can grow them big here, but you gotta have the right place.
Harrisville is a good area. That's for sure.
Thanks for the info... much appreciated!!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hi! I was hoping my fellow hunters could provide me with some additional info. I've done as much research as I can but figured who better to get some additional info then the actual hunters themselves. I've done much of my hunting in NE Ohio but have a chance to lease a property on the Jefferson/Belmont County line near Harrisville. I was wondering from hunters who hunt the area what shape the herd is in as far as numbers and what the buck potential is? Trying to target only mature deer and was curious what the area is putting out? I understand it can depend on the habitat and management practices of the tract. I'm sure some won't like this post but was hoping for a little help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

good area. lots of good deer taken out of belmont every year! Good luck!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Not sure how helpful that was. Tough to say without knowing the property you're after.
Jefferson and Belmont are both usually in the top 10 or so counties for harvests though.

yep, belmont is a nice mix of ag/big timber.

livetohunt228

Not sure how helpful that was. Tough to say without knowing the property you're after.
Jefferson and Belmont are both usually in the top 10 or so counties for harvests though.
Yeah, I hear ya, a lot depends on the particular tract, specific area of the tract, it's habitat and SO many other variables. I've seen an aerial and it looks good so definitely think it's worth checking out. It was helpful and I do appreciate your input. Thanks again! Take care!!

Schu72

Streetsboro
I grew up about 10 minutes from there. Lived in Colerain area. I still go back and hunt northern Belmont County every year. The deer population in the areas I hunt is still worth the 2 hour drive. Every property can be different, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

livetohunt228

I grew up about 10 minutes from there. Lived in Colerain area. I still go back and hunt northern Belmont County every year. The deer population in the areas I hunt is still worth the 2 hour drive. Every property can be different, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks for the info!

jonpgilbert2

I live in trumbull county and make the drive every year a couple times. I hunt the public land and had a lot of great years until the pipeline put a easy access to my best area. I went from maybe seeing 1 Hunter to multiple now. I've noticed a big decrease in numbers on public land over the past couple years but still great hunting beautiful land and big deer just got to find them there always there.

Buckmaster

Portage
There is about 1/3 the deer now as compared to 6-8 years ago. You should find ample 125" bucks during next season. There is a big one in every woods if you can find him.
Like Schu mentioned...I have no complaints about making the 2 1/2 hour drive. I was once a little spoiled...... as sometimes I can go a day without seeing a deer.