Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Timber land

at1010

*Supporting Member*
so next to my farm there is timber company who owns a chunk of ground. They own tons of land all over the country I believe. These companies are hard to track anyone down to even talk too. However, the ground next to my place is leased, which is fine cause the guys seem like good dudes via text.

my question any have experience with timber companies as neighbors? do they ever sell the ground? do they just hang onto it and timber every 20 years?

Thank you for reading!

Bigcountry40

My experience is very limited and was in South, but my club president always told me they hang onto it and just timber it out. Ohio is different though I think they have to match hardwood to pine. Again I could be wrong, if so correct me. weyerhaeuser was the timber company in NC, and they would try to screw hunters on leases by leasing for deer and bear within the same season, this practice almost shut down our club.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The lease operation they run seems fair. Idk what they pay. My biggest thing is someday I'd like to buy the ground. Idk if there's anyway to know if they are selling or what.

Last thing I want is them to sell it without me knowing and have some yahoo buy it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The lease operation they run seems fair. Idk what they pay. My biggest thing is someday I'd like to buy the ground. Idk if there's anyway to know if they are selling or what.

Last thing I want is them to sell it without me knowing and have some yahoo buy it.

If it's Meed Westvaco or scioto land company they buy and sell between each other like crazy. They may decide to sell it to the public someday but it will not be before they strip the timber.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jackalope,
Is it true that Ohio timbering laws force companies to match hardwoods to pine?

You mean if they cut hardwoods it has to be replanted with hardwoods and likewise for pines? Not that I know of unless it's a recent law within the last few years. I've seen meed clearcut hardwoods and replant with pines

Bigcountry40

You mean if they cut hardwoods it has to be replanted with hardwoods and likewise for pines? Not that I know of unless it's a recent law within the last few years. I've seen meed ckearcut hardwoods and replant with pines

I was led to believe if they clear cut anything the replant must be 50% hard woods, where as in the South Paper companies like weyerhauser would just plant pines.

jlane

dunn nc
so next to my farm there is timber company who owns a chunk of ground. They own tons of land all over the country I believe. These companies are hard to track anyone down to even talk too. However, the ground next to my place is leased, which is fine cause the guys seem like good dudes via text.

my question any have experience with timber companies as neighbors? do they ever sell the ground? do they just hang onto it and timber every 20 years?

Thank you for reading!
yes they do occaiasionally sell ground after they get all the usable timber off, had the chance to hunt a parcell that was sold a couple years ago, turned it down because there isin;t a single tree, except on property line

at1010

*Supporting Member*
You mean if they cut hardwoods it has to be replanted with hardwoods and likewise for pines? Not that I know of unless it's a recent law within the last few years. I've seen meed clearcut hardwoods and replant with pines

O buddy they have cut it to the freaking core already. Its now on about a 5 year clear cut, and no notice of selling. HMM They do lease to hunters so maybe the are happy with making money that way, and getting paid off the land royalties.

jlane

dunn nc
also they sometimes don;t sell the minerial rights with the land, never understood that, buying land means all rights to said land

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
also they sometimes don;t sell the minerial rights with the land, never understood that, buying land means all rights to said land

Good luck finding a single piece of property for sale in southern ohio with attached mineral rights. Personally I would never buy a property with severed rights. It's going to be a big mess for hundreds of years down there. Personally I think it should be illegal. Sell it outright or lease it if you want to make money off minerals.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Good luck finding a single piece of property for sale in southern ohio with attached mineral rights. Personally I would never buy a property with severed rights. It's going to be a big mess for hundreds of years down there. Personally I think it should be illegal. Sell it outright or lease it if you want to make money off minerals.

yepp total mess already! My family owns all rights to the land that we have our home on. If I was to every buy adjacent land, I wouldn't care if it had mineral rights or not. I just want it for hunting and being mine. I don't even care that its timbered at the moment. I would doze some areas, plant plots, orchards, etc. I would use it to enjoy the things I love to do.

Just 1 More

Thank you for reading!

Yes they sell it, Go to their web sites and they will probably have a real estate for sale link, I have leased from several different timber companies when I hunted down south.. Have a few friends in the business of leasing for the timber companies and I still hold the lease on a tract of timber land in Sumter county Georgia.