Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

lookng for private land to hunt whitetail this Year (16)

jlane

dunn nc
my sugestion, if you have the time to kill, start with a location you want to find land and visit the local hang outs for coffee in the mornings, don;t be to aggressive just sit and shoot the shit with everyone, let them come to know you and feel comfortable with you and you will be supprised what will start to fall in your lap, some free and some that want a little compasation for their land, lots of small tracts(less than 20 acres) that you can find that will be free, some good and some not, personally i don;t allow myself to ask to hunt free, i make the offer, some takes the offer and some don;t want any money, they just want to feel appreaciated for allowing you to hunt, sometimes you have to miss a day or two of hunting because they want to sit and talk on a good day to be hunting but i love to sit and talk too so it all works out most of the land i have was because i would go sit and drink coffee with the old timers and one guy spoke up / hey you should be hunting my family;s land-so long story short 300 plus acres later i get to hunt land that;s prime, so just get out and let people get to know you before you start asking, don;t be afraid to help compensate owners for what they own, `not as hard to find huntable land as it seams, just be paitent took me about two years

ChasinTheTrophy

Western PA
I'll lease you 80 acres of prime SE Ohio land complete with food plots, prehung stands, crops and can post dozens of pics of the genetics. Bucks from 180-140" have called this farm home over the years.

$5K for the year. Max 2 hunters. 140" inch minimum. Must sign Indemnification release.

I Would love to , but that's a little out of my price range . Also its tuff for me because of my job . We have outages 2outta every 3 years starting end of September into November so its hard for me to get down there lol . Thanks for the offer though I do appreciate it !

ChasinTheTrophy

Western PA
honestly man, you live in W PA. Lots of great hunting there and good bucks. You won't get private land in Ohio via the internet unless you are paying for it. Also if you are limited on time, just hunt PA odds of killing a big deer will be better.

Crossing the boarder into OH doesn't = 150 around every tree.

not being a dick just being honest, I wish you best of luck in your search.

Yeah I get that , But im usually done in archery in PA so I started hunting Ohio this year mostly to extend my season .

ChasinTheTrophy

Western PA
my sugestion, if you have the time to kill, start with a location you want to find land and visit the local hang outs for coffee in the mornings, don;t be to aggressive just sit and shoot the shit with everyone, let them come to know you and feel comfortable with you and you will be supprised what will start to fall in your lap, some free and some that want a little compasation for their land, lots of small tracts(less than 20 acres) that you can find that will be free, some good and some not, personally i don;t allow myself to ask to hunt free, i make the offer, some takes the offer and some don;t want any money, they just want to feel appreaciated for allowing you to hunt, sometimes you have to miss a day or two of hunting because they want to sit and talk on a good day to be hunting but i love to sit and talk too so it all works out most of the land i have was because i would go sit and drink coffee with the old timers and one guy spoke up / hey you should be hunting my family;s land-so long story short 300 plus acres later i get to hunt land that;s prime, so just get out and let people get to know you before you start asking, don;t be afraid to help compensate owners for what they own, `not as hard to find huntable land as it seams, just be paitent took me about two years

I have noticed that ! Everyone we met down where I went was very polite and helpful , short of offering land . Its like a different world , everyone waives and stops to talk . I think eventually I will find some spots was just trying to speed up the process . Cant blame a guy for trying . Also next year I think im gonna try earlier in the season to try and beat some of the pressure . Thanks for the advice !

ChasinTheTrophy

Western PA
Thanks everyone for the offers and advice ! Its appreciated . Im just a regular guy who loves hunting ! Usually by myself , But I love taking people and showing them and learingin from them . My nephew has become my hunting buddy . Close to getting him a nice buck this year ! I have never shot anything big . 110ish is my biggest lol . Just like to dream like everyone else . Being in the woods is more impprtant to me than killing a monster , but lets be honest , Its a lot funner when you see deer ! Thanks again ! Maybe one day Ill run into one of you guys and we can shoot the breeze !

Chasin

joejoe8

If you hunted wolf creek last year I've probably have a pic of you lol. That place was a mad house last year!, more hunter pix than deer. They are some big ones around but anything that is easy access is hunted hard.

ChasinTheTrophy

Western PA
You aint lying Joejoe ! I've never seen more out of state hunters ! We must have seen at least 4-5 trucks from Michigan . New York , Vermont, north Carolina , Maryland, Illinois ! It was crazy . I kinda felt bad for the locals honestly . I can only imagine how frustrating it is to get all that pressure ! Its bad enough in PA without out of staters ! We are gonna try and make a couple trips in spring and summer to secure some private property or a weekend lease or something . If not we will have to do some pretty intense scouting and rearrange our schedule to get there earlier this year . How did you make out anyway ?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
You aint lying Joejoe ! I've never seen more out of state hunters ! We must have seen at least 4-5 trucks from Michigan . New York , Vermont, north Carolina , Maryland, Illinois ! It was crazy . I kinda felt bad for the locals honestly . I can only imagine how frustrating it is to get all that pressure ! Its bad enough in PA without out of staters ! We are gonna try and make a couple trips in spring and summer to secure some private property or a weekend lease or something . If not we will have to do some pretty intense scouting and rearrange our schedule to get there earlier this year . How did you make out anyway ?
It is bad, when we can't enjoy our public land because its too overcrowded.

Jeffery

I haven't had much luck with public hunting properties and really don't want to lease. I'm looking to buy at least 30 acres in southern Ohio. I live in the Columbus area and would love to find a place I can small game and deer hunt. Let me know if anyone is selling.

Bigcountry40

I haven't had much luck with public hunting properties and really don't want to lease. I'm looking to buy at least 30 acres in southern Ohio. I live in the Columbus area and would love to find a place I can small game and deer hunt. Let me know if anyone is selling.

Yeah, no else is looking for that especially on this website, I'm sure the offers will start flying in lmao

at1010

*Supporting Member*

not to go off course but I think this is a great thing to ask. People come on hard times and sometimes don't list properties but if someone reachs out like this they will sell.
I would really consider how much land you can afford. My family owns closer to 70 acres and there is not a day goes buy we don't want to buy more.
Its like buying a tractor, you need 20hp to pull that stump out, buy 40hp.

Good luck!