Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Holly Hills - South Salem

HeartLunger

A client treated me to a pheasant hunt yesterday, my first ever! I was amazed by his Britney's ability to hunt. It was a great time and I would recommend this outfit if you're looking for a pheasant hunt of this type.

Terrible pic:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I absolutely love pheasant hunting, even at the preserves and "clubs." Those dogs sure are fun to watch and hunt behind. Good to hear you were successful.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Always something I've wanted to do, especially in the Dakotas. Only seen one pheasant my whole life and I'm pretty sure it was a tame one.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In my neighborhood again and didn't stop by. I'm starting to think you are avoiding me. BTW, Holly Hills is my buddy's place. I assume you have now met the living legend, Dean. He and I coach baseball together.

HeartLunger

In my neighborhood again and didn't stop by. I'm starting to think you are avoiding me. BTW, Holly Hills is my buddy's place. I assume you have now met the living legend, Dean. He and I coach baseball together.

Dang! I didn't know I was so close. Yes, I met Dean. Seemed like a great guy. He's got quite the operation going and a view from the road that is worthy of what one might see out west.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Did a pheasant hunt in Pennsylvania last fall and had a blast.... First time for me and the guys I was with hunt South Dakota and said its as close too the real thing as you can get... 42 birds between 8 guys and everyone one had plenty of shots.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He not only knows pheasants, but "brown trout" too...

Attachments

• 11146569_10203264387483979_3558311249764293230_n.jpg
    11146569_10203264387483979_3558311249764293230_n.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 444

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did a pheasant hunt in Pennsylvania last fall and had a blast.... First time for me and the guys I was with hunt South Dakota and said its as close too the real thing as you can get... 42 birds between 8 guys and everyone one had plenty of shots.....
I don't care how many flushes you get... Pen raised birds aren't even in the same ballpark as wild birds. They may as well be a completely different species altogether. Lol. Wild birds are as cagey as an animal can get.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Dean coaches baseball? I wish I could have seen that when we were there. Definitely would have been worth the price of admission.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yea. It's entertaining. Nothing better than seeing a world class redneck threatening kids.

HeartLunger

I don't care how many flushes you get... Pen raised birds aren't even in the same ballpark as wild birds. They may as well be a completely different species altogether. Lol. Wild birds are as cagey as an animal can get.

Probably not anywhere near the same, but until the wild population has a sustainable resurgence these preserves are going to be as close as many of us can get. From what I understand, the DNR releases birds on state ground, so not even truly wild there.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Probably not anywhere near the same, but until the wild population has a sustainable resurgence these preserves are going to be as close as many of us can get. From what I understand, the DNR releases birds on state ground, so not even truly wild there.
I'm not knocking the pen raised birds or preserves. Just simply saying they're not as hard to kill as wild birds. The club hunts are great... I thoroughly enjoy them.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Glad you have a real good time I did it once and had a blast.

I'm ready soon as deer is over. Anyone want to go to Deans? Then we can torment Brock and eat some pizza. Their food is excellent!

Last edited:

HeartLunger

Glad you have a real good time I did it once and had a blast.

I'm ready soon as deer is over. Anyone want to go to Deans? Then we can torment Brock and eat some pizza. Their food is excellent!

I haven't had Brock's pizza in forever, that sounds great about now.

Bigcountry40

Oh, I knew that! I was criticizing the management by the DNR. :)

Why doesn't the ODNR release pheasants in like August or outside of pheasant season altogether? I would think this would improve the actual population other than the release slaughters they do now.