Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My farewell Letter to 2015 Deer Season

at1010

*Supporting Member*
For some reason I had this need to write this. I am sorry it is long but I hope you enjoy. I am not a writer so not looking to get torn up about that! Business major hahah. Hope you all enjoy.

My Farewell to the 2015 Deer Season- DEEPER MEANING

As I reflect on the season, buck tag still in pocket, I find myself wondering if I let my inner hunter down. I was unsuccessful at something that I spend 365 days a year working towards yet I was unable to accomplish it. After days of deliberating I have come up with a few reasons as to why my season WAS a success.

1. My season was a success because I was able to get away in nature and clear my mind. With Ohio having a season that stretches north of 5 months it is always going to be a rollercoaster ride. No matter the year it seems that personnel life “interferes” with our tree stand time. Typically our life is stopped by an unfortunate loss of a friend or family member. At times we may have uncertainty with our careers or even lose our jobs. We might have fights with our girlfriends, wives, etc. The point I am making is referring back to my first sentence in this paragraph. I have such a strong bond with nature that sometimes being 25 foot up a tree is the only way to truly get that alone time with me, myself, and God. As hunters we are able to sit in a tree and shed that tear that we refused to shed at the wake of our friend. We are able to swallow our pride and admit that the girlfriend was right. All while waiting to see if that big buck will setup out that evening. Over the years I have found sometimes the quite getaway sits are much more important for my mind than the big buck that my ego is so hungry to kill. When I am able to escape in nature all is right in my mind and in the world. I find this time so very much needed and this truly makes my deer season a success.

2. Spending time with friends and family. I believe that this is something I have far overlooked in years past. I was living in Texas and when I came home it was all business. I took to the stand and would not be happy unless everything was right in the woods. This year I decided to change that, and I was successful in more ways than one. I took my cousin out who took a major liking to hunting this year. He moved to Ohio and helped me every step of the way. I beat him over the head with the anatomy of a deer, sent him numerous QDMA articles to read about deer and made him hold off on shooting does during the November Rut! Although I think he wanted to kill me, he stuck with it and when I gave him the green light he jumped at the opportunity to harvest a nice 2.5-year-old doe. He center punched her heart, and piled her up in 30 yards. I still cannot explain how proud I was/am of him. I know we will enjoy many more seasons together, and hopefully bring our children into this wonderful hunting culture with us someday. I was also able to get my best buddy Chris on his first deer this year as well. He made a great shot on a great doe for a house warming party I was throwing. We smoked her and man did it turn out great! Stories like the ones above are what truly makes my deer season successful.

3. Overall property management improvements. Well if you know me you have probably had to tell me you are tired of hearing about deer. I think about it 365 and I love property management. I own about 65 acres in SE Ohio with my family. I never stop thinking about how I can improve that ground to make it more attractive to whitetails. This past year I passed up more 3.5 bucks year olds that I can ever recall. I saw more does at one time than I could ever recall. The food plots were totally torn up, and the deer are going to have food to get them through the rest of winter. I should have a great group of bucks around next year and I am starting the count down already! As hunters we often care and tend to worry about the health of our deer herd’s more than non-hunters realize. I often use this point when speaking to non-hunters, and it helps to make them realize that we are truly conservations, not bloodthirsty killers. This is what truly makes my deer season successful.

In conclusion I wanted to write this piece as a reflection piece. It is all too easy to get caught up into catchy buzzwords such as “ score, age, rage, fixed blade, etc”. However at the end of the day we are all hunters and need to stand together, we need to realize that life is very short and so is our time in the woods. We need to enjoy our time with our families, and friends in the outdoors. We need to not worry about how many inches of antler that buck has that so and so killed. We need to not be jealous but proud of other hunters for their achievements. If you don’t harvest that buck you wanted, try harder next year and maybe you’ll be the one everyone’s talking about! I am not an overly religious guy, but I do have a strong faith in God. I can tell you with 100% certainty; Saint Peter is not going to ask how many big bucks you killed when you meet him at the Pearly Gates. Take the time to realize the real importance your deer season, and I promise it will truly make is a successful one.

Thank you for reading!

Sincerely your hunting buddy,

Albert

jlane

dunn nc
very well put, sounds like you have matured into a great hunter and figured out the important things in life not just killing

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nicely done, man. That last paragraph, IMO, is the real take-home of the whole thing. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that aren't enjoying the outdoors for what it is. We've materialized our hunting and adventures just like we have our money and possessions... And that's a disservice to mother nature. You've done a great job explaining why you don't need a 140 or to be tagged out to have a successful hunting season. It's about way more than the harvests.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I cannot express how good it feels to see these responses. I travel for work OFTEN and my mind races OFTEN! I just had this article idea in my head for the last couple of days. I just felt such a need to get it on paper.

Really happy you all have enjoyed it as much as I have. Thank you!