Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iks

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks everyone. I did not deer hunt at Strouds and didn't go to West Virginia this year so I haven't killed a meat deer this season. Without a buck around I would consider a shooter it was time to fill the tag. And those of you who've known me over the years know that I'm a button buck shooting mofo. Not a big fan of shooting does although the doe that was with these BBs last night was a big jelly chested 5-6 year old, the BB offered the shot. I don't mind shooting button bucks because mainly that's the only deer you will be killing. Shooting a doe not only kills her but also the generations of offspring to include grandkids, great grandkids, and their kids. Plus biologists I have shown that the spring after a button buck is born he will strike out 3 to 6 miles to find his core area. Combined those two factors with me having a tag and only nine days left in season a bb is in trouble.

This one was pretty big. About the size if an average doe. They sure do grow from oct to January.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Nice one joe. I myself have had similar thoughts on shooting buttons. Never bothered me much and sometimes I would rather have someone shoot one for the reasons you stated above.