Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I know...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It has been a long but good season for me.

Work has had me all kinds of screwed up this year. I don't remember if I have ever taken over a 6 week hiatus from bow season since I've started hunting 20 yrs ago. Monday and Tuesday work had me out till after 9 each night. Yesterday things worked out that I actually got off early and as long as my phone didn't ring I was going to have a good time in the stand while watching it snow.

As I'm walking back the tractor path I have to decide on which one of the three stands on the property I'm going to sit. I had decided the one overlooking the back field. To get to that stand I have to walk right by a set that is located at a old gate on the tractor path. I walked past this and got about 20 yds and something made me stop and I said to myself "Self you need to be in that stand tonight!" So I turned around and got into the gate set. This is the same stand that I shot the doe out of back in October. From this set I can overlook a CRP field, a small winter wheat, and then at my back is a thick woods that is off limits. That's where all the deer came from. Eventually one came out of the woods and turned down the tractor path towards me. I had already decided no matter the opportunity I'm putting some meat in the freezer before season closes. So I had the bow in my hand and was turned for where my shot was going to be. She was 1/4 to me pretty hard but I was confident in my equipment to do the job. Let here fly. Arrow went through the front shoulder and I watched her take off through the CRP and back around into the woods and crashing. I didn't see her crash but heard it. When I found her she didn't make it 10 yds into the woods.

I stayed in the stand till about 6:15 till my feet couldn't take it any more. Saw a lot of deer. 24 total sightings. No bucks that I could tell.

Here is a short video of some deer moving through.

https://youtu.be/U6NGGHrJhc4