Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Out of state hunters?

Ohioal

Hell. I don't think there are any state borders south of the mason Dixon all these southern states are all the same. I thought this way of hunting was only in Alabama been here for three years now and it's definately totally different. I'm still trying to figure it out. Until you experience what other guys have posted about about the south it's very hard to comprehend. 2 night ago we had a 9 pt poached off the side yard 50 yards from the building at the factory I work at on on old military base with the homeland security building just a half mile away You would have thought Alabama lost a football game that's how pissed people were I'll give them credit though they chased the bastard down and turned him into the game warden. Bring on the snow sat morning!!!!!! It may shut this part of the state down for a while but it sure will be fun hunting these mountains in the white stuff

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hell. I don't think there are any state borders south of the mason Dixon all these southern states are all the same. I thought this way of hunting was only in Alabama been here for three years now and it's definately totally different. I'm still trying to figure it out. Until you experience what other guys have posted about about the south it's very hard to comprehend. 2 night ago we had a 9 pt poached off the side yard 50 yards from the building at the factory I work at on on old military base with the homeland security building just a half mile away You would have thought Alabama lost a football game that's how pissed people were I'll give them credit though they chased the bastard down and turned him into the game warden. Bring on the snow sat morning!!!!!! It may shut this part of the state down for a while but it sure will be fun hunting these mountains in the white stuff

Hey. Huntin and Alabama football is some serious shit.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I imagine deer hunting and college football is pretty serious shit in most Midwestern states as well! Can't think of two better leisure time activities...:smiley_clap:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I imagine deer hunting and college football is pretty serious shit in most Midwestern states as well! Can't think of two better leisure time activities...:smiley_clap:

When was the last time you saw family members get in a fist fight over a football game. Or a Michigan fan poison 200 year old trees on the ohio state campus. Or read where someone shot and killed her sister who was also a fan after she said "I don't care that Alabama lost to auburn" lol. Nah man. Midwest football is important to people. But until you make your michigan fan family watch the game at their own football party because you want to avoid trouble you won't get it.

Funny story. On our way to visit family once Jessica and I stopped at the alabama welcome center across the state line. I was talking to the security / tourist information lady behind the desk and asked if she was an alabama or auburn fan. She said. "We're not allowed to discuss football with coworkers or visitors". How's that for serious shit. Lol.

When was the last time you saw family members get in a fist fight over a football game. Or a Michigan fan poison 200 year old trees on the ohio state campus. Or read where someone shot and killed her sister who was also a fan after she said "I don't care that Alabama lost to auburn" lol. Nah man. Midwest football is important to people. But until you make your michigan fan family watch the game at their own football party because you want to avoid trouble you won't get it.

Funny story. On our way to visit family once Jessica and I stopped at the alabama welcome center across the state line. I was talking to the security / tourist information lady behind the desk and asked if she was an alabama or auburn fan. She said. "We're not allowed to discuss football with coworkers or visitors". How's that for serious shit. Lol.
That's sounds about like some uga crap as well. Man I could care less about anything to do with any sport. No disrespect that's just me. I never got into sports but you are not kidding about the seriousness of college football in the south. Kinda sad really.

Ohioal

Hunting, football and some bad homemade liqueur will get you into a fight faster than anything down here. Lol had to learn that very quickly and honestly was a bit of a culture shock

runhunter

When I met some of the GF's family for the first time, I knew that Uncle Jon worked at Univ of Alabama... ok great. Well, we showed up at Hilton Head on Saturday afternoon, and as we pulled in the driveway, he had beers in his hand for us as we got out of the car. Untilllllllllll he saw I was wearing a UNC baseball hat. Somehow everyone but me, got a beer, and at first I thought it was a joke, and that he'd eventually say I'm kidding man, nice to meet ya, here ya go. Watching him walk back to the cooler told me he all I need to know. Looks like I was on my own if I was thirsty. Not long after, there was a "talkin to" and I understood real quick, it's not just a casual thing. Not a day goes by that him, his wife, and 2 sons are seen without something crimson on. Over the past 6 years, I guess it's safe to say I have become a Bama fan. Might be all the free t-shirts, hats, swetashirts etc... haha, but I'm easy, like a $2 whore. Don't judge me

Ohioal

Lol. A man has to do what a man has to do lol. Man this thred has sure changed course but I guess after hearing how much people dislike us out of staters maybe this will show we ain't all that bad and we're all in the same team. At least as far as this site is concerned

runhunter

Lol. A man has to do what a man has to do lol. Man this thred has sure changed course but I guess after hearing how much people dislike us out of staters maybe this will show we ain't all that bad and we're all in the same team. At least as far as this site is concerned

Any thread that isn't a IKS or all "congrats" always changes course right around page 3 somewhere haha.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I don't think you'll find many people here who have a huge problem with out-of-state hunters. Generally people go out of their way to help and assist those asking questions. Unless it's like their first post.

Bigcountry40

I will be completely honest and go ahead and say it bothers me more than the average guy on here just because I lived in NC and I know what they really think of us (ignorant and generous) and feel like a lot of hunters are unaware (outside of the this forum) and will literally spread their old ladies legs for some of these guys and let them fuck the shit out of her for little more than a thank you. These guys lease lots of land for a fair price and they want to turn around and charge you $400 a day to kill a invasive species (hogs). Look at ohio hunting groups on facebook, residents will literally give these guys all the info they need including there soc # lol. My kids were born in the south and I identify myself as a southern boy as well (probably wouldn't have moved back if the teacher pay was so bad), but it truly does bother me how naive some of my fellow Ohio residents really are. As for Vermont people, I would think it would be much cheaper/practical to go to Maine or Pennsylvannia, I know there are some great opportunities there as well at a much closer travel time. But when I was a NC resident I came up to Ohio to hunt, so I guess I am a hypocrite also, what you going to do.

It's like this guy's it's not about the "deer" to me when I go out of state. It's not about killing a freaking monster. It's about the experience. If I lived in a state with the biggest deer in every field I would still drive off somewhere for a week to hunt. My family for instance makes a hunting trip a vacation. We go see new things and meet new people. The biggest deer I have ever killed and will be hard to beat was in ga. I still drive 8-12 hours every year to hunt another state. I have land at home to hunt, several places I have drove 3 hours in my own state to hunt on ft benning knowing I had bigger deer at home. Why??? Just to look at something different. Hunt a different tree, hunt a different field...just to be somewhere different. I'm not out to wipe out some other states deer. That's just how it is for my family and i.

jlane

dunn nc
It's like this guy's it's not about the "deer" to me when I go out of state. It's not about killing a freaking monster. It's about the experience. If I lived in a state with the biggest deer in every field I would still drive off somewhere for a week to hunt. My family for instance makes a hunting trip a vacation. We go see new things and meet new people. The biggest deer I have ever killed and will be hard to beat was in ga. I still drive 8-12 hours every year to hunt another state. I have land at home to hunt, several places I have drove 3 hours in my own state to hunt on ft benning knowing I had bigger deer at home. Why??? Just to look at something different. Hunt a different tree, hunt a different field...just to be somewhere different. I'm not out to wipe out some other states deer. That's just how it is for my family and i.

thanks for clearing that up,i too dont come to ohio to just kill deer or bucks,it,s the experence of going somewhere else, i have the oppertunity to kill nice(what we consider big bucks in carolina),have let several 130 inch and under walk past,to me the opertunity to see bucks larger than i,ve ever seen is the bonus, don;t get me wrong if i see somthing that interest me i;ll take it, not into just killing any deer, we nr,s get bashed for a lot of reasons,killing ALL the deer,leasing all the land, poaching, tresspassing, being the blame for some not being able to hunt what was considered their lifelong hunting grounds,i,ve read it all, sometimes i feel not welcome up here on the forums, have yet to have a landowner make me feel that way, (wish the south would take a page out of their book and build upon it,)and yes i do pay landowners for the right to hunt their property i feel if they pay for the land and keep taxes paid then it,s only right that we offer to give them money or somthing, theres bad apples in every bunch, too bad we(nr;s) all get profiled in the same way, sorry for being long winded this am, just don,t want to sit in a cold ass tree this am,

Palmatedbuck04

thanks for clearing that up,i too dont come to ohio to just kill deer or bucks,it,s the experence of going somewhere else, i have the oppertunity to kill nice(what we consider big bucks in carolina),have let several 130 inch and under walk past,to me the opertunity to see bucks larger than i,ve ever seen is the bonus, don;t get me wrong if i see somthing that interest me i;ll take it, not into just killing any deer, we nr,s get bashed for a lot of reasons,killing ALL the deer,leasing all the land, poaching, tresspassing, being the blame for some not being able to hunt what was considered their lifelong hunting grounds,i,ve read it all, sometimes i feel not welcome up here on the forums, have yet to have a landowner make me feel that way, (wish the south would take a page out of their book and build upon it,)and yes i do pay landowners for the right to hunt their property i feel if they pay for the land and keep taxes paid then it,s only right that we offer to give them money or somthing, theres bad apples in every bunch, too bad we(nr;s) all get profiled in the same way, sorry for being long winded this am, just don,t want to sit in a cold ass tree this am,
You two are the minority.

Yea I mean I know there is a douche in every bunch. I can only speak for me and mine. It was pleasant for me to just be in an area where the hardworking man wasn't the minority for a few days. I stayed in one area for seven day and felt like my wife and daughter were safe. I felt like I didn't really need to worry as much about them, that they could go into town and kind of relax. I can't do that at home and people who don't have to live this way have trouble understanding. Heck that was one of the highlights of my trip. I wasn't paranoid when I layed my head down at night. When you have been mind raped because of working in corrections you don't feel safe at home. Up there it is all different. I'm not stupid I know there are scumbags in every state but where I have been in the Midwest the number seems to be less than at home.

Last edited:

Bigcountry40

I would definitely sharea fire and my beer with Lackster and jlane and any other non resident on this site, I was just trying to be completely honest, no hard feeling towards any of ya'll

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I will be completely honest and go ahead and say it bothers me more than the average guy on here just because I lived in NC and I know what they really think of us (ignorant and generous) and feel like a lot of hunters are unaware (outside of the this forum) and will literally spread their old ladies legs for some of these guys and let them fuck the shit out of her for little more than a thank you. These guys lease lots of land for a fair price and they want to turn around and charge you $400 a day to kill a invasive species (hogs). Look at ohio hunting groups on facebook, residents will literally give these guys all the info they need including there soc # lol. My kids were born in the south and I identify myself as a southern boy as well (probably wouldn't have moved back if the teacher pay was so bad), but it truly does bother me how naive some of my fellow Ohio residents really are. As for Vermont people, I would think it would be much cheaper/practical to go to Maine or Pennsylvannia, I know there are some great opportunities there as well at a much closer travel time. But when I was a NC resident I came up to Ohio to hunt, so I guess I am a hypocrite also, what you going to do.

So I was really interested in coming down to hunt some hogs. But I'd settle for any additional information you have on those wives that need fuckin.