Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Out of state hunters?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn... My future DIL is from Athens.... Her and my son are in Columbia SC now....

We've been looking down around Columbia/Charlotte area for a move....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You should be in the clear. Stay away from Atlanta stay far away. Charlotte is the halfway mark for ohio from my area.

I've got a brother and sister who live in Atlanta.... Been there done that.... The wife was offered a job down there.... I told her she'd be single doing that move lol.....

I've got a brother and sister who live in Atlanta.... Been there done that.... The wife was offered a job down there.... I told her she'd be single doing that move lol.....

Yea good call on that. I used to drive through on my way to hunt fort benning. Gets my nerves tore up thinking about the drive. Hands are shaking so bad now I can barely type....dirty south. Emphasis on dirty.

Bigcountry40

Damn... My future DIL is from Athens.... Her and my son are in Columbia SC now....

We've been looking down around Columbia/Charlotte area for a move....

If you move to Charlotte, you'll pay mega bucks to shoot german shepard scrub bucks, hunting is very competitive there and you got to travel hours to find decent hunting. Columbia is a about 2 hours from Charlotte I think, Greenville South Carolina hunting is also awful, either an hour north to hunt or 2 hours south.

Last edited:
If you move to Charlotte, you'll pay mega bucks to shoot german shepard scrub bucks, hunting is very competitive there and you got to travel hours to find decent hunting. Columbia is a about 4 hours from Charlotte I think, Greenville South Carolina hunting is also awful, either an hour north to hunt or 2 hours south.

I don't have confidence hunting in any state that allows you to hunt deer with dogs. There not freaking rabbits.

Bigcountry40

I don't have confidence hunting in any state that allows you to hunt deer with dogs. There not freaking rabbits.

You can only hunt with dogs in Eastern NC and Southern SC, I used to do this once a month, I enjoyed it, more about the fellowship than the actual hunt to me.

You can only hunt with dogs in Eastern NC and Southern SC, I used to do this once a month, I enjoyed it, more about the fellowship than the actual hunt to me.

Agreed on the fellowship and I get the running and gunning part of it I'm not bashing that. Just hate it for the folks who put in work all year and then poachers run there land with dogs while they are at work. BIL had it happen just last season. Fortunately for him he burned a day to hunt and they got caught. I get the heritage part of it and I understand and it's not a big deal in areas of sc where it's miles and miles of swamp that is dang near impossible to hunt. Just tough on the folks down here when a deer they have been putting in the stand time to kill gets bumped and shot on the run.

jlane

dunn nc
There's good and bad on both sides of the fence. I'm willing to bet there's a ton of deer that make it back to WV, KY, and PA that never see a tag. I don't think we should ban NR hunters. But I do believe we should limit the lands to a lottery with a percentage going to NR at a higher fee. Exactly how most hunting destination state do it. And I think every penny should go directly back towards the land and species targeted and not into the ODNR operating budget. If hunters spend a half million in lottery draw fees and tags to hunt wildcat hollow, all half a million should go back to benefiting the deer and hunters in wildcat hollow.

cant disagree with the most of what you said,i could see all nr paying the same as res. for lic but at least double for tags, and limit to only one buck and doe, or if a nr wanted to kill more than two deer in the state then after two tags, they would be 4 times the reg price, dont know why anyone wants to travel that distance to just kill a deer,as far as nc goes with a little knocking on doors and getting to know people they would have a good chance to hunt good property, it,s no different than up there as far as finding somewhere to hunt, would like to see a portion of funding go to hiring and training more officers,you guys have an awesome program on wildlife up there,just needs to be more enforced,personally i have hunted for 4 years there and haven;t been checked not once or seen an officer patrolling the area i hunt, even tho i have asked for him to patrol the area once in a while so yes it would be very easy to not tag deer if a person was wired to do that, also speaks of the charicter of an indvidule, right is right and wrong is wrong, thats just the way people are, poaching is stealing, hunting without permission, same thing,

jlane

dunn nc
heck i could see maybe odnr setting aside certain public hunting areas for res. only, and some for all to hunt,after all you guys pay state taxes for living there we don;t

Bigcountry40

cant disagree with the most of what you said,i could see all nr paying the same as res. for lic but at least double for tags, and limit to only one buck and doe, or if a nr wanted to kill more than two deer in the state then after two tags, they would be 4 times the reg price, dont know why anyone wants to travel that distance to just kill a deer,as far as nc goes with a little knocking on doors and getting to know people they would have a good chance to hunt good property, it,s no different than up there as far as finding somewhere to hunt, would like to see a portion of funding go to hiring and training more officers,you guys have an awesome program on wildlife up there,just needs to be more enforced,personally i have hunted for 4 years there and haven;t been checked not once or seen an officer patrolling the area i hunt, even tho i have asked for him to patrol the area once in a while so yes it would be very easy to not tag deer if a person was wired to do that, also speaks of the charicter of an indvidule, right is right and wrong is wrong, thats just the way people are, poaching is stealing, hunting without permission, same thing,

Knocking on doors in NC? My wife taught in Benson for years, I know this area extremely well, knocking on doors does not work, Johnston county is land leasing/permission hell. I won't argue with you, but if you go to any NC forum there are tons of residents always losing hunting access and looking for new clubs, land, etc.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you move to Charlotte, you'll pay mega bucks to shoot german shepard scrub bucks, hunting is very competitive there and you got to travel hours to find decent hunting. Columbia is a about 2 hours from Charlotte I think, Greenville South Carolina hunting is also awful, either an hour north to hunt or 2 hours south.

If/when we move, I won't deer hunt down there.... If I drive my happy backside will be back in Ohio......

I'll be a reverse snowbird lol.... Head north for the winter and south for the spring/summer/fall....

Rabbit hunting may be a different story as I've already made a few connections with other rabbit hunters and they seem more open too outsiders lol.... That is if you have a good jump dog lmao.... Which I have lol

If/when we move, I won't deer hunt down there.... If I drive my happy backside will be back in Ohio......

I'll be a reverse snowbird lol.... Head north for the winter and south for the spring/summer/fall....

Rabbit hunting may be a different story as I've already made a few connections with other rabbit hunters and they seem more open too outsiders lol.... That is if you have a good jump dog lmao.... Which I have lol
A guy down the road from me pays a club $2500 a year to have exclusive rabbit hunting rights. For $2500 I better be part owner on that deed.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't think you northern boys understand how prolific leasing is in the south. If it's huntable, it's leased. Hunting clubs that amount to basically trailer parks with hunting land are a dime a dozen. A look through the local paper will show ads for clubs ranging from $80 to $8,000 and some more than that per year. Buckle your shoes because it's starting to happen here too.

Shits so important they'll put it in your obituary.

Max enjoyed hunting and fishing and was a member of the Old Whitaker Hunting Club in Claiborne County Ms. He shared his love of hunting with his friends, children and all five of his grandchildren. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cl...x-h-watson&pid=161689693#sthash.Kc7w6rYe.dpuf

I don't think you northern boys understand how prolific leasing is in the south. If it's huntable, it's leased. Hunting clubs that amount to basically trailer parks with hunting land are a dime a dozen. A look through the local paper will show ads for clubs ranging from $80 to $8,000 and some more than that per year. Buckle your shoes because it's starting to happen here too.

Max enjoyed hunting and fishing and was a member of the Old Whitaker Hunting Club in Claiborne County Ms. He shared his love of hunting with his friends, children and all five of his grandchildren. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cl...x-h-watson&pid=161689693#sthash.Kc7w6rYe.dpuf

We are gaining alot of "outfitters" here in ga via craigslist. It's amazing what stupid people will pay to come kill wild pigs. It's ridiculous. Down here if you got a couple hundred acres and some trail cam pics you snatched off the Internet you are an outfitter. $250 a day to hunt pigs!!!if you shot a boar another $150 for a trophy fee!!!!! another $50 for them to skin and quarter it. What the heck man take that cash go to the sell and buy you a slaughter pig have it worked up and put the other half in your pocket

Bigcountry40

There are only a few of us that really get it, honestly I don't think clubs would be the worst thing in the world in Ohio, but we have members that talk about trying to buy bordering hunters who have 5 acres and a feeder because they might get one of their deer (thats the definition of southern hunting, buy and eliminate the competitiion). But unless you have actually lived/experience the southern hunting aristocracy type culture its hard to explain. Guys will literally lease a stone parking area just so other deer hunters can't use it to make their lives more difficult. I have seen farmers lease dove fields on a daily rate. I used to have a few serious beagle rabbit hunters drive 4 hours one way to hunt my lease property (we had 24 dogs going at once, it was a blast). Guys will literally live in single wides and spend 3/4 of their incomes on dogs, truck and hunting down there, its just a different culture.

There are only a few of us that really get it, honestly I don't think clubs would be the worst thing in the world in Ohio, but we have members that talk about trying to buy bordering hunters who have 5 acres and a feeder because they might get one of their deer (thats the definition of southern hunting, buy and eliminate the competitiion). But unless you have actually lived/experience the southern hunting aristocracy type culture its hard to explain. Guys will literally lease a stone parking area just so other deer hunters can't use it to make their lives more difficult. I have seen farmers lease dove fields on a daily rate. I used to have a few serious beagle rabbit hunters drive 4 hours one way to hunt my lease property (we had 24 dogs going at once, it was a blast). Guys will literally live in single wides and spend 3/4 of their incomes on dogs, truck and hunting down there, its just a different culture.

Once again. You sure your not from ga lol. My brother in law and i had a long discussion the other day about the difference in hunting culture. I had to explain to him what a drive was on the way up there.