Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Out of state hunters?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here's what I don't understand, and this will show you how much sense our DNR has.

So we have areas in the state that do not allow hunting. Places like NASA, Ravena, and metro parks. Each year a lottery is held by for a chance to hunt one of these places. The lotteries are ran to control the deer population inside of these no hunting areas. Essentially a very limited number of hunters are chosen to participate and reduce the population to what they deem an acceptable level. These lottery hunts are in actuality nuisance hunts.

And then we have public hunting land that is completely open, everyone can hunt it at anytime they want, without any type of special regulation.

On lands not open to the general public they spend a considerable amount of resources limiting the harvest and managing the deer population through a limited lottery.

On lands that are open to the general public they don't give two shits and let residents and nonresidents combined utterly decimate the deer population.

Now I'm no state biologist, but doesn't that seem ass backwards. Wouldn't you think they would want to decimate the deer population on these no hunting areas so that they don't have to continue using resources and doing these nuisance lotteries year after year.

These lottery based nuisance hunts are some of the most well managed deer herds and lands in the state of Ohio.

Yet when it comes to managing the property and deer herds of public hunting areas it's a free for all.

giblet

The way I see it, public land is a lot like a soup kitchen. Provided by the government, there cause it has to be, you won’t really like what you find there and you are always hoping something better comes up so you don’t find yourself back there.

I am sure there are varying degrees of greatness when it comes to public land and I still believe a guy can find some pretty good hunts on public land with a little bit of leg work but damn…..if what I experienced this year was my first experience with hunting, I think it would be a short lived proposition.

As far as the NR’s that appear to have besieged Ohio, I think its all a matter of perspective with no blame towards the NR. What with the hunting media perpetually billing OH as a big buck destination and globe trotting trophy hunters as thick as fleas on a beaver belly being skinned in a heated barn…….its no wonder they come. It would seem the residents of western states would have this same complaint for years but they have been more astute over managing the masses and charging accordingly. Where Ohio is failing to capitalize from the public hunters point of view is an increase of license revenue to the general coffers in lieu of the state’s treasured trophies. However, if the farm bureau is synonymous at best or carries the most leverage at worst with the ODNR than I would say any loss of revenue that could be used to acquire more public land or further develop what already exists is more than amply offset by a pent up demand and increase in leasing fees.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The way I see it, public land is a lot like a soup kitchen. Provided by the government, there cause it has to be, you won’t really like what you find there and you are always hoping something better comes up so you don’t find yourself back there.

I am sure there are varying degrees of greatness when it comes to public land and I still believe a guy can find some pretty good hunts on public land with a little bit of leg work but damn…..if what I experienced this year was my first experience with hunting, I think it would be a short lived proposition.

As far as the NR’s that appear to have besieged Ohio, I think its all a matter of perspective with no blame towards the NR.

That depends on who is posting. There are a few on here that are plain and simply assholes about it. I won't name any names but I really feel sorry for a couple of them. It must really suck to go through life being so farking miserable.

jlane

dunn nc
From ODNR 2014 2015 season summary

Non-resident hunters accounted for 11% of the deer per-
mits issued and 8% and 12% of the total and buck harvests,
respectively, in the 2014-15 season. Eighteen percent of the
non-resident harvest (2,659 deer) was taken on public land, which is more than twice the rate of the resident public land harvest (8%). The non-resident harvest was 56% antlered. By comparison, the resident harvest was only 36% antlered. The top 5 non-resident states (total harvest) were Pennsyl- vania (2,652), Michigan (1,504), West Virginia (1,285), North Carolina (971), and Florida (941). Among the states taking at least 100 deer, those harvesting the most bucks as a per- centage of their total harvest were New Jersey (75%), Mary- land (73%), West Virginia (67%), Michigan (66%), and New York (64%). Non-residents that were most likely to harvest an antlerless deer were from Canada (70%), Indiana (60%), New Hampshire (58%), Maine (58%), and Florida (58%). The counties with the largest proportion of their harvests attrib- utable to non-residents were Adams (19.9%), Athens (19.2%), Pike (19.1%), Morgan (18.5%), and Meigs (17.5%). Putnam
(0.4%), Lake (0.8%), Miami (1.2%), Summit (1.3%), and San-
dusky (1.4%) had the lowest non-resident harvests.

More than half (62%) of the non-resident harvest occurred
during archery season, with the gun and muzzleloader sea- sons accounting for an additional 28% and 9%, respective- ly. Non-residents took a larger percentage of their harvest during archery season than either residents or landowners. Seventy percent of the antlered and 53% of the antlerless deer harvested by non-residents was taken during archery season
lundy, very interesting post, i think it;s may be a little misleading giving that for the most part that most nr will tag a large percent of the deer they kill, where as for the locals (in certain areas) a large percent never gets tagged,goes strait to the frig and not called in, reason i think this, if you go back and look at some of my posts of pics we get most never make it till end of the season they disappear,i have a camper set up where we hunt and all during the night we hear shots, sometimes one sometimes multiples, thinking it;s not target pratice that late, alot of guys bash nr;s for the deer problem(not all but some) in reality (depending on where you are at)most of the kills are locals to the area,i have talked to the warden about this problem, his words was well that is just the locals; you cant do much about it,as far as nr;s, we are part of that group,in four years we have eat ten tags, not killed a single deer in ohio,had plenty of chances,some guys want to bash us for their problems of not finding places to hunt or loosing ground to leases, ive got some of my leases because of locals not respecting land or landowners,had a landowner approch me recently about a lease on a property that he shut down 8 years ago, because of locals, could not even drive in there with a truck because of ruts, they were running over crops, dumping trash, inviting people to hunt without permission, and so on, had a guy approch me and stated him and his family had always hunted that farm and would contuine to hunt,thats where we as nr,s can come in and get farms that locals cant, sorry to side tract this thread, just trying to shed a little lite to the ones complaining about nr being the biggest problem when in fact we are only a small part of it,guys think about it, most nr will have to travel a great distance to get to hunt, when you guys that live there can hunt the entire season if you want

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
lundy, very interesting post, i think it;s may be a little misleading giving that for the most part that most nr will tag a large percent of the deer they kill, where as for the locals (in certain areas) a large percent never gets tagged,goes strait to the frig and not called in, reason i think this, if you go back and look at some of my posts of pics we get most never make it till end of the season they disappear,i have a camper set up where we hunt and all during the night we hear shots, sometimes one sometimes multiples, thinking it;s not target pratice that late, alot of guys bash nr;s for the deer problem(not all but some) in reality (depending on where you are at)most of the kills are locals to the area,i have talked to the warden about this problem, his words was well that is just the locals; you cant do much about it,as far as nr;s, we are part of that group,in four years we have eat ten tags, not killed a single deer in ohio,had plenty of chances,some guys want to bash us for their problems of not finding places to hunt or loosing ground to leases, ive got some of my leases because of locals not respecting land or landowners,had a landowner approch me recently about a lease on a property that he shut down 8 years ago, because of locals, could not even drive in there with a truck because of ruts, they were running over crops, dumping trash, inviting people to hunt without permission, and so on, had a guy approch me and stated him and his family had always hunted that farm and would contuine to hunt,thats where we as nr,s can come in and get farms that locals cant, sorry to side tract this thread, just trying to shed a little lite to the ones complaining about nr being the biggest problem when in fact we are only a small part of it,guys think about it, most nr will have to travel a great distance to get to hunt, when you guys that live there can hunt the entire season if you want

There's good and bad on both sides of the fence. I'm willing to bet there's a ton of deer that make it back to WV, KY, and PA that never see a tag. I don't think we should ban NR hunters. But I do believe we should limit the lands to a lottery with a percentage going to NR at a higher fee. Exactly how most hunting destination state do it. And I think every penny should go directly back towards the land and species targeted and not into the ODNR operating budget. If hunters spend a half million in lottery draw fees and tags to hunt wildcat hollow, all half a million should go back to benefiting the deer and hunters in wildcat hollow.

Bigcountry40

I lived with in NC for years the same things you listed above happened x10; more poaching, tresspassing, lying and cheating occurred in NC than I have ever seen in Ohio, Texas or SC. The reason I believe trespassing and poaching is so bad down there is the limited access/availability to hunt for lower income people. Because basically these people couldn't afford to hunt, but their homes/trailers bordered woods they simply just did what they wanted. I see this same trend now in Tuscarwaras county where I hunt. The poor people that live in the 100ft trailer lot are pissed because they can't hunt anywhere, It must be frustrating to live in area with good deer hunting and not have access to any of it. This is the real reason why I think a lot trespassing occurs now in Ohio. Ohio hunting has drastically changed in the last 10-20 years and I don't think nonresidents offering double whatever the current lease price is will help the situation. Ohio is not a Western state with big game (moose, elk, etc), vast wide open spaces which a individual could get lost or die in or with great bird hunting, we can only handle so many nonresident hunters.

I lived with in NC for years the same things you listed above happened x10; more poaching, tresspassing, lying and cheating occurred in NC than I have ever seen in Ohio, Texas or SC. The reason I believe trespassing and poaching is so bad down there is the limited access/availability to hunt for lower income people. Because basically these people couldn't afford to hunt, but their homes/trailers bordered woods they simply just did what they wanted. I see this same trend now in Tuscarwaras county where I hunt. The poor people that live in the 100ft trailer lot are pissed because they can't hunt anywhere, It must be frustrating to live in area with good deer hunting and not have access to any of it. This is the real reason why I think a lot trespassing occurs now in Ohio. Ohio hunting has drastically changed in the last 10-20 years and I don't think nonresidents offering double whatever the current lease price is will help the situation. Ohio is not a Western state with big game (moose, elk, etc), vast wide open spaces which a individual could get lost or die in or with great bird hunting, we can only handle so many nonresident hunters.

You sure you didn't live in georgia?? Only thing that was missing is the meth labs they set up on peopled property.

runhunter

Id have no problem paying extra for a NR license or a stamp. If the $ goes back to the preservation and development of wildlife and all that is involved, cost isn't an issue for me personally. The price is extremely low for what's offered in Ohio and I'm sure it does create some downfalls.

Bigcountry40

Lackster,

How bad were the public boat ramps in Georgia? I never actually used any of em in NC, but I was told it was like monkeys in a shit fight, especially on the weekends.

Lackster,

How bad were the public boat ramps in Georgia? I never actually used any of em in NC, but I was told it was like monkeys in a shit fight, especially on the weekends.

Really depends on what your looking for. If your trying to pick up an aids infested hooker or score some coke it's the place to be. If you are an honest person trying to fish not so good. I only go to state parks. I tried a public ramp on Hartwell one night. Got back at 2am and found someone needed the trailer for my ranger more than I did. That made for a fun night.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Really depends on what your looking for. If your trying to pick up an aids infested hooker or score some coke it's the place to be. If you are an honest person trying to fish not so good. I only go to state parks. I tried a public ramp on Hartwell one night. Got back at 2am and found someone needed the trailer for my ranger more than I did. That made for a fun night.

Damn.... I've seen tires missing.... But not the whole frigging trailer lol.... How long it take too get a trailer too you too get it out of the water???? Wow.... That's just messed up....

Damn.... I've seen tires missing.... But not the whole frigging trailer lol.... How long it take too get a trailer too you too get it out of the water???? Wow.... That's just messed up....

My dad bolted some 2×4s on the floor of his utility trailer and we sunk It enough to drift the boat up on it. Yea the officer that wrote it up said I was lucky. He said the people were targeting specific trailers to chop. He said if they couldn't get it off the truck they would cut your tires and stick a screw driver through the radiator.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My dad bolted some 2×4s on the floor of his utility trailer and we sunk It enough to drift the boat up on it. Yea the officer that wrote it up said I was lucky. He said the people were targeting specific trailers to chop. He said if they couldn't get it off the truck they would cut your tires and stick a screw driver through the radiator.

That's some hardcore summers eve container shit right there....

You have a CCL?? I Think I'd be carrying a lot down there....

That's some hardcore summers eve container shit right there....

You have a CCL?? I Think I'd be carrying a lot down there....

If I have on more than a pair of underwear I have at least one on me. My wife does as well. Heck my car got broke into in my driveway one night. People down here are unreal. If it wasn't for or family farm I would have moved further north a long time ago.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If I have on more than a pair of underwear I have at least one on me. My wife does as well. Heck my car got broke into in my driveway one night. People down here are unreal. If it wasn't for or family farm I would have moved further north a long time ago.

What part of Ga you by???