Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iowa

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This thread is worthless without pics...

Dang!!! That means if he finds them he'll send them to me for me to post em! LMAO

Dave, this is all true as I saw the pics when he was out there but that was prolly 8-10 years ago and I'm not sure he still has the pics! They had 13-14K acres at their disposal but weren't allowed to keep the sheds. The other 3 guys were going out to scout because they hunt on this farmers leased ground and owned property and shed hunt while they're out there. The farmer keeps the sheds and deadheads BUT if anyone that hunts his properties kills a buck and he has the sheds to him he will give them the sheds.
Ron said it was like they were Easter Egg hunting as many and often they found sheds! Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
54 sheds in one day is insane! I'd love to make it out there some day, hopefully before I get too old and can't hike very far lol

Fletch

Supporting Member
Had some time so I called Iowa DNR... I'll start an Iowa guidelines in the Out of State Hunts section.... Basically what I said above still pertains.

Fletch

Supporting Member

163 inch typical 10 point my brother shot on a DIY Iowa hunt. Bucks neck was 38 inches around near top. Basically had no neck..

Fletch

Supporting Member

Heres another pic of that buck. Believe it or not when the deer walked under him, he passed on it. He watched it slowly walk out to about 25yds, and he had second thoughts. Deer turned broadside and he sent a wasp 3 blade through him.. Deer weighed 250 lbs on one scale and 265 lbs on another. Both weights were DRESSED !! So give or take 260ish. I saw some nice bucks that trip, but no shots.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
WOW!!!! That's a stud bruiser of a buck!!! Can't imagine anyone even considering passing a deer like that! Dang....

Congrats to your brother!

Fletch

Supporting Member
One other thing... Make sure you take your shotgun, as pheasant season should be open and you can hunt some birds after you tag out on that Iowa giant. Esp if your in a group and tag out first and have nothing else to do while your buddies are hunting..

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
It's kinda neat out there! I saw 3 -4x4 salt treated posted road signs rubbed so much, that you could almost wrap one hand around the center of them. No shit! In the one pic with the two sheds, is a fence post that the bucks rubbed often. Lol

joejoe8

Can't wait to get out there an see some new country. Flying out March 16 an got 4 days of scouting/shed hunting.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Boy if that old tree stand could only talk... Bet a lot of great memories there. Out in Illinois its not uncommon to see a telephone pole rubbed by a buck. I'm sure there are telephone poles rubbed in Ohio as there are definitely bruisers in Ohio. Where I hunt bears in N.J. they have a telephone pole all chewed up. If I can find it I'll post a pic.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Boy if that old tree stand could only talk... Bet a lot of great memories there. Out in Illinois its not uncommon to see a telephone pole rubbed by a buck. I'm sure there are telephone poles rubbed in Ohio as there are definitely bruisers in Ohio. Where I hunt bears in N.J. they have a telephone pole all chewed up. If I can find it I'll post a pic.

If I remember right someone on too had posted a pole being rubbed on....