Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iowa

joejoe8

We are thinking about putting in for Iowa this year. We should draw, with 5 points each. Taking a scouting trip in late March to try an find a hot spot. Got a few public land spots picked to look at, an maybe try knock on some doors. Any of you guys ever hunted Iowa care to share your experience good or bad. Thanks

Not me personally but I am actually looking at an employment opportunity in western Iowa near Sioux Falls and as part of my preliminary research I always scout the local state forums and have come to find that the vermillion and along the missiouri river area is said to have some great public land locations.

That would be my personal suggestion would be look at local forums for the state that can usually get you some good insight.

joejoe8

Not me personally but I am actually looking at an employment opportunity in western Iowa near Sioux Falls and as part of my preliminary research I always scout the local state forums and have come to find that the vermillion and along the missiouri river area is said to have some great public land locations.

That would be my personal suggestion would be look at local forums for the state that can usually get you some good insight.
Thanks, I've looked at every post on every Iowa hunting forums that I can find. From what I've seen you are right about Vermillion area. Thats suppose to be great hunting in that area.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
There are WAY more giant bucks in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin....there aren't any more deerz in Ohio so everyone should check out the other states

Ditto, no antlers left in Ohio.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Joe.... If I were going to Iowa I'd look into the Southern Counties such as Decatur... My brother and I hunted around Leon several years ago and seen quite a few big deer, He ended up shooting a 163 inch 10 point. Deer was a horse. Dressed out over 250 lbs. Neck measured 38 inches at the highest point. We were hunting private property,however there were 2 guys staying in the same motel that said they were seeing a lot of nice deer at the state wildlife area just west of Leon. I have 4 points and were considering going this fall either bow or muzzle loader. If considering a good outfitter give Straight Arrow a call. Any other question feel free to PM me. Rich

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I've got 2 points now and getting my 3rd this year. Hoping to draw the fall of 2017. I have shed hunted south eastern Iowa in VanBurean county and saw some dandies! That's where I am going!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've got 2 points now and getting my 3rd this year. Hoping to draw the fall of 2017. I have shed hunted south eastern Iowa in VanBurean county and saw some dandies! That's where I am going!
Inform me on how you go about getting these points. Just buy them on Iowa DNR website?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Inform me on how you go about getting these points. Just buy them on Iowa DNR website?

Bigslam.. Years ago you got them when you applied for a permit and were denied... Now they charge you I believe $50.00... Usually you can buy them during the permit application time in May. Check the Iowa DNR web site. I got my points the old way before they started charging. Currently there is no dead line for using these points. I've had my 4 points for several years. Remember if you plan on going with someone,both of you should buy points. Otherwise if a group applies and one person is short points everyone will be rejected.. Hope this helps..

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Bigslam.. Years ago you got them when you applied for a permit and were denied... Now they charge you I believe $50.00... Usually you can buy them during the permit application time in May. Check the Iowa DNR web site. I got my points the old way before they started charging. Currently there is no dead line for using these points. I've had my 4 points for several years. Remember if you plan on going with someone,both of you should buy points. Otherwise if a group applies and one person is short points everyone will be rejected.. Hope this helps..

I can go to the DNR website for Iowa and Read all the rules and such...but THESE are things I would like ot know more about from those that have gone through the system....maybe a thread with these things would be great, if someone has the time.

joejoe8

Thanks, We have a day planned to scout that area.
Joe.... If I were going to Iowa I'd look into the Southern Counties such as Decatur... My brother and I hunted around Leon several years ago and seen quite a few big deer, He ended up shooting a 163 inch 10 point. Deer was a horse. Dressed out over 250 lbs. Neck measured 38 inches at the highest point. We were hunting private property,however there were 2 guys staying in the same motel that said they were seeing a lot of nice deer at the state wildlife area just west of Leon. I have 4 points and were considering going this fall either bow or muzzle loader. If considering a good outfitter give Straight Arrow a call. Any other question feel free to PM me. Rich

joejoe8

Did you find any sheds? We are scouting public land but I hope to run into some sheds.

joejoe8

bthompson1004 You can just buy a point like Fletch said every year if you don't want to draw that year. I think it starts around May, most of the better areas will take 3 or so points.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Did you find any sheds? We are scouting public land but I hope to run into some sheds.

We found 54 sheds in a day and a half between 4 of us. I found 14 sheds and a 180" dead head. Most of our sheds were in the 50"-60" range. One was a 75" five point. Unbelievable deer numbers and genetics in the state of Iowa. The rich soil, with hardwoods and cedar thickets surrounded by CRP fields are an awesome landscape for sheds and big bucks!