Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2016 MZ season kill

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not only that, when did you start riding the high horse? You've sure taken a different tone around these parts in the last few months. It's not like you to talk down to the guys around here and that's pretty much what you've done all season. You got other issues you're bringing on here than just deer numbers and corn piles?

No offense taken. Yes, I do. But in my experience I've never seen a deer use my mineral sites during hunting season. The TR is used to accustom deer to use a trail I do hunt over. I did see some deer have interest in it in February. I assume these were pregnant does wanting minerals to supplement a growing fetus. I hunted over a feeder years ago too. I killed an 8 point in late December hunting in this fashion. I felt (just my feeling) like I cheated and haven't hunted in that fashion since. I have this same timed feeder setting in my creek bottom today. But, it hasn't had corn in it during hunting season for a number of years. I normally throw 200 lbs in it in late January after I, and anyone else that hunts my place are done hunting for the season. I do this to help the deer and other critters make it through the remainder of the winter.

In my opinion having a mineral site has very little drawing power from mid September through January. A pile of shelled or ear corn will draw deer probably 50-1 in the same time frame.

I just don't need, or desire to hunt deer over corn. Like I said earlier, my opinion isn't popular. This is undisputable just by reading posts on this site.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't see my horse being any higher than anyone elses. If my ideas offend the masses, I'll try to keep them to myself.
Might take some time to reread some of your posts from a couple years ago versus lately. I respect you and enjoy your company, but you've taken to this "lone ranger" roll and every post has nearly the same flavor. You're interactions here have most certainly changed for the negative. We're all entitled to our opinion and you're free to express yours. But as Joe pointed out in another thread, expect the push back when you start pushing.

I don't understand how a great and Noble food plot hunter can cast shame upon someone hunting over a pile of corn. I have hunted over acres of corn field , I have also hunted over piles of shelled corn. Poured or planted what's the difference other than some tractor time. They are one in the same. JMO

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Also i might shoot one doe for meat in the freezer every few yrs but i do put in alot of time and effort every year snaring and killing coyotes. Up to 115 as of yesterday so i believe i give back to the deer herd in my area.
My trailcam pics dont lie,the last 2 yrs i am seeing at least 95 % of the fawns surviving all through the summer where 5 yrs ago i was lucky to ever see 2 fawns with a doe.
Hell just one pair of yotes could easily take out 25 or more fawns by fall.
So i guess we should be trying to get more hunters to start trapping yotes, i see them as a bigger problem overall.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Problem with that Brian is time. I don't have it, nor do many of us. I'd love to do what you do. Find me 2 extra hours in my day and maybe it's possible. Hell, I'm unemployed and I still can't carve out the time. It's far more time consuming than hunting IMO.

I admire and commend what you've done, but you're the minority and always will be. Now if there was a bounty, then who knows...

Also i might shoot one doe for meat in the freezer every few yrs but i do put in alot of time and effort every year snaring and killing coyotes. Up to 115 as of yesterday so i believe i give back to the deer herd in my area.
My trailcam pics dont lie,the last 2 yrs i am seeing at least 95 % of the fawns surviving all through the summer where 5 yrs ago i was lucky to ever see 2 fawns with a doe.
Hell just one pair of yotes could easily take out 25 or more fawns by fall.
So i guess we should be trying to get more hunters to start trapping yotes, i see them as a bigger problem overall.

Same problem down my way. Nothing pisses me off more than a deer hunter telling me they saw a yote but didn't shoot it because they didn't want to mess up there hunt. You freaking douche you obviously don't give a crap about the deer you are hunting if you let one of those terrorist get by you intentionally. I wish I had the time to trap during the season and the spots. Greedy folks around here don't even want you on there property shooting yotes or hogs.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Whatever another hunter does to kill deer, as long as it's legal, is fine by me. If you wanna be a cheater and hunt over bait, go right ahead. Hahahahaaa

But seriously, this whole bait vs plots vs no bait bullshit needs to stop. It's all legal. Hunt however you enjoy hunting. If it gets you outdoors and fuels your fire, fuckin do it. Don't worry about what your neighboring hunter is doing. You should be worrying about #1. If you're acting salty about someone else's tactics and methods you're wasting valuable time you could be out there making yourself a better outdoorsman or woman. As long as it's a legal option on the table, there's going to be people taking advantage of it. Doesn't make someone any better or worse, so get over it.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Problem with that Brian is time. I don't have it, nor do many of us. I'd love to do what you do. Find me 2 extra hours in my day and maybe it's possible. Hell, I'm unemployed and I still can't carve out the time. It's far more time consuming than hunting IMO.

I admire and commend what you've done, but you're the minority and always will be. Now if there was a bounty, then who knows...
I agree Jesse it is time consuming,that is why i only do it a couple months out of the yr,wish i could do it yr round!
One good thing is i can finally see the results and from lack of yote tracks i can back off a little for now.
Wish they would put a bounty on em, also, i will shoot any that wander by while hunting.