Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

October or November?

mpoissant12

If you could only hunt one of these weeks which would you choose and why?

The last week of October or the last week of November?

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
First week of November cuz less chance of warmer temps,still ahead of the bulk of the lockdown and the bigger bucks seem to move a little more in daylight.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I misread the question and answered wrong.

I'd hunt the last week in October versus November because even though the temps might not be as cool the pre rut is a great time to be in the woods. The switch flips during this week as well and the mature bucks start getting antsy and are getting on their feet more in daylight. The seek phase is also a great time to start calling and if you do have an encounter with a shooter buck the chances of having one walking by is better instead of one running by in chase mode. Plus, less bucks are busted up and more are alive than the last week in November. Nothing worse than having a buck your after getting killed before you had much time to hunt him.
Good luck whichever you decide.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Last week of October,big bucks start moving more during the day and evening hunts really improve on buck sightings.
Lots of big bucks get killed every year during the week of Halloween.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
2016 will be as early of a calendar year as we have. There will be 3 days of gun hunting at the end of November this coming season. I have always had good luck hunting the end of November on a early calendar year. And with the added range of using a gun the last few days. I'd pick the end of November for this coming year.