Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sight Debate

What do you Shoot?

• Single Pin Slider

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Multi Pin

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Single pin fixed/ Pendulum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Ive always shot Extreme 5 pin sights from my Hoyts. I just picked up a new bow and am thinking of going with a slider single pin style, have looked at multiple types of multi pin and single pins I just cannot make up my mind, I would love to hear your thoughts and what you use. I like the idea of a single pin for clearer sight pictures I just keep thinking what if you dont have enough time to adjust before a shot. Im not really concerned with price and will look at all brands. Im really leaning towards an Apex Covert Pro with the adjustable "dot" similar to a red dot scope ill post a picture of it. apexcovertproag2301gb.jpg

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Look at Spot Hogg or Axcel Sights, and get the best of both worlds, multi-pins and a dial for longer yardages. I have a Spot Hogg right now with three pins, 30,40,50 and then a dial for shooting out past that. All yardages past 50 are shot off the bottom pin and strictly for 3d and shooting for fun.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I like the simplicity of a single pin slider and the clear uncluttered view . Today's bows generally allow you to set your first mark around 25 yds and use that for 0-30 yds . At longer yardages your generally not gonna have to shoot quickly so the extra half second to adjust the slider as needed.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Look at Spot Hogg or Axcel Sights, and get the best of both worlds, multi-pins and a dial for longer yardages. I have a Spot Hogg right now with three pins, 30,40,50 and then a dial for shooting out past that. All yardages past 50 are shot off the bottom pin and strictly for 3d and shooting for fun.
This. Greg's sight is badass.

I've always shot a 3 or 5 pin. I'm not a fan of a slider for the fact that it adds a step to the moment of truth. I've never had an issue picking a pin or not being able to see a deer, so I don't see me changing anything. I may get one like Greg's just for the fun of shooting long range and having a pin rather than guessing.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This. Greg's sight is badass.

I've always shot a 3 or 5 pin. I'm not a fan of a slider for the fact that it adds a step to the moment of truth. I've never had an issue picking a pin or not being able to see a deer, so I don't see me changing anything. I may get one like Greg's just for the fun of shooting long range and having a pin rather than guessing.

I have a Spot Hogg TOO but it's just a 5 pin set and I like it very much! It'd be awesome to have a dial for further distances though! Got too dang much money in my sight to change now but I really like it anyway so I'm happy.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Always a 5-7 fixed pin sight here. A few arrahs and you'll figure out where it's hitting long distance once you break the 100yrd. mark.

I have never shot a single pin before. What do you do when you draw back and the deer closes/moves out 10-15yrds? Do you have to reset the pin?

loose_is_fast

McClure
I have a spot Hogg five pin and love it. I have thought about getting a single pin but how drastic does your anchor point change? That is what has kept me from changing.

rsmith

I shoot a montana black gold target sight base with a hha .019 single pin sight and I love it. Push that pin as far away as you can from the bow and if you can hold steady and not fight the pin it is a deadly set up having a dovetail sight. Especially at farther distances. It also helps with clearing up your sight view by just having one up pin and not 3 of 5 horizontal pins in multiple colors

runhunter

I shoot with a SH Right on 5 pin wrapped, and it's been a great, durable piece with very bright pins. To be honest, I've never had an issue picking the wrong pin or getting confused at the moment of truth. The bottom 2 pins (50-60) are so far down I don't even think I see them when I draw. I'd rather spend the time shooting and learning where my drop offs are, than have to adjust a slider. All personal preference, but when I see a deer coming my mind works better with less to think about

Flatlander

Darby Creek
CBE Tek Hunter 4 pin for me with the option to slide for 3d or league shooting. I am not big on sliders for hunting because the last thing I want to do is try to set yardage when a big boy is walking and I don't know exactly where the shot opportunity will be. Not to mention a lot of the shots will probably be in low light conditions and seeing the tape mark would be tough for my old eyes.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had to go to a single pin HHA slider sight after developing cataracts. My cataracts are little dots on my lens and I see 3 dots for each pin and it looked lie a Christmas tree in the sight with 21 dots.
I really like the single slider sight. Yes it's another step and it ties you to a good range finder for the correct range. But it's either that or stop using a bow. I still see 3 dots but they are very close together and it doesn't effect my shooting.
I tried a red dot sight after falling down and messing up my 5 pin sight and that's when I noticed the cataracts.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Always a 5-7 fixed pin sight here. A few arrahs and you'll figure out where it's hitting long distance once you break the 100yrd. mark.

I have never shot a single pin before. What do you do when you draw back and the deer closes/moves out 10-15yrds? Do you have to reset the pin?

I shot a recurve, fingers and instinctive for 25 yrs before adding a compound to my toy room. I keep it simple and have never killed beyond 30 yards and as close as 6.
For me, a 20 yard fixed pin is all I need.

I'll save the 100 yd shots for gun.