Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Vinton furnace experimental forrest

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Has anyone ever hunted here... i was put in charge of finding a new place to hunt public next year. After the last three years of hunting at Blue Rock we decided to try and find something else. Just looking to see if anybody has any experience with this place.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Has anyone ever hunted here... i was put in charge of finding a new place to hunt public next year. After the last three years of hunting at Blue Rock we decided to try and find something else. Just looking to see if anybody has any experience with this place.

Better put you hiking boots on and be in good shape. If you've ever been to tar hollow this place is worse. Big big hills in those parts. I'm not sure for deer but 5-6 years ago there was some hogs in there we tried to drive.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Im a "flatlander" myself the biggest hill around me is maybe 20ft ha... i would imagine that it cand be worse than any other south eastern ohio ive hunted

Erik72

I have hunted there since I was a kid, close to thirty years now. Over the past 4-5 years, the amount of deer that I have seen has been on a huge decline. Deer trails that once looked like hog paths are non-existent. I talked to the guys at the headquarters building past the gates and they said that they have seen more turkey than deer this year. I end up back there every year though...mostly to camp/hunt with my old man.

Bigcountry40

After reading this thread and researching the forest on google, I am considering a gun hunt there. Erik is it a pumpkin patch during gun season?

Erik72

BigCountry, not at all. I hunted there this past gun season and there were probably only 7 trucks in the parking lot. The campground had 4 campers. Years ago, you couldn't find a place to park. I ran into a couple of guys in passing on the main road. It definitely doesn't have the number of hunters that it used to. I'm not sure that I will go back there to hunt for a while. The last couple of years has been pretty disappointing. I have only seen a handful of deer in the past 3 years and those were nothing to brag about.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
That is the problem with Blue Rock... i wonder if it is going to be like that on any public land tho... thanks for the info Erik

Bigcountry40

BigCountry, not at all. I hunted there this past gun season and there were probably only 7 trucks in the parking lot. The campground had 4 campers. Years ago, you couldn't find a place to park. I ran into a couple of guys in passing on the main road. It definitely doesn't have the number of hunters that it used to. I'm not sure that I will go back there to hunt for a while. The last couple of years has been pretty disappointing. I have only seen a handful of deer in the past 3 years and those were nothing to brag about.

Gun hunting to me is more about the fellowship, experiencing new terrain or enviroment and a good local towny bar. I just need those three elements, I enjoy hunting the deep hollers also