Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hate watching em

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I've killed a lot of deer in my life . While I may not carry the credentials of other forum members I don't feel like I'm new to the game . Perhaps I've reached a new stage in my hunting career but I really don't like watching deer die . I love k owing I've made a clean , quick killl . But the killng is really starting to bother me . I'm not sure how to handle it .

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Watching them fall over and die is bothering you, or do you still get bothered if they run off and die out of sight?

Lundy

I think that happens to a lot of hunters as they mature, both in age and hunting.

I really don't know how many more years I'm going to continue to deer hunt, I've been debating that with myself for a few years now. Until I decide I'll just keep doing what I normally do and not fill a tag most years but still enjoy the hunt itself.

A friend of mine was bowhunting a few years ago and while walking into his stand in the afternoon he saw a deer coming through the woods towards him. he nocked and arrow and the deer kept coming closer and closer. He saw it was a button buck at around 20 yds and decided not to shoot it. The deer kept walking to him and came to him and starting nuzzling him. He was petting and hugging this deer. he took a selfie with it. He fed it a snickers bar he had with him and named the deer "snickers". That deer followed him back to his van.

When he told me that story and posted the selfie he took with the deer I told him I would have been done deer hunting had that happened to me. The next fall there was a fawn doe that would walk out of the woods and come to within 20 yds of me every time I would fill the corn feeder. I told her to get the hell away from me!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think we all have an internal quota. Like you, I often think I've about reached mine. I almost always reach for my little camera vs my bow. The last two years I have passed bucks I never dreamed I would. I shot one during gun season just to "test out" a new rifle. Felt like a piece of garbage for doing that. The blood thirst may return someday... I love to hunt, just not much of a killer anymore.

Lundy

1018090744a.jpg1018090749a.jpg

The pics he took with his phone of "snickers"

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have no problem hunting and taking deer. Plan to do it as long as I can. I hunt because I enjoy the peace and quite plus the challenge. I take a deer and give most of them away to others.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is an article I have read about stages of maturity in a deer hunter's life. I need to dig it up. Seems appropriate here.

For me? At one point I wanted to fill all my tags. As I matured, and as I see the population drop a little in my area, I have zero desire. I have no issues killing a deer or two for our freezer. I have no issues shooting a "trophy buck" for the freezer and wall. A quick, clean kill doesn't bother me at all. A shot which is questionable really bothers me. If it ever stops bothering me, I need to reevaluate myself.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Waking up and not wanting to kill deer anymore? Damn I almost feel sorry for you. Although I had a moment like that with a ground hog a couple years ago. Had my 45 on my hip and walked up to him sitting in a crotch of a tree. Ten years ago I would have shot that sumbitch without a thought but I never took the gun out of the holster. I just stood there and looked at him. I have killed ground hogs since so it didn't last long.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think that is a totally normal reaction to have, and I personally believe it shows respect for the animal.

Do you ever trap? I freaking hate raccoons, but I can't tell you that I enjoy shooting them in the head after I trap them. I do it A LOT but I wouldn't say I LOVE IT.

Same with deer, I love shooting deer and having a quick kill. I shoot a few does a year for meat and if I am lucky enough I will kill a buck as well. However, I have some pretty decent spots to hunt and PASS A LOT of deer. Sometimes I just don't feel like killing them. I had a fawn licking her mommas face the other day at 11 yards, and I thought to myself man I can't shoot that deer after that hahaha!

Sorry to ramble but a deer is a living breathing thing, and is a big game animal. You are KILLING IT, so I think shows you have a good head on your shoulders if you don't LIKE to watch them die..... I will never stop hunting but I will also never enjoy seeing an animal suffer.

hope my thoughts and feelings on this were clear and well presented.Thank you!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Jake, you're a first class guy, and a top-flight hunter.

That's all I got to say, don't have any insight for ya. Check back with me in 25 years and I might know something.:smiley_coolpeace:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I only shoot lone Does anymore if I shoot one. Doesnt mean her fawns arent nearby. I Have way too much respect for creatures nowadays to be a Jackal. Well, I still hate cats. I giggle at every one that is mangled into Street Loaf along the roads.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I don't "like" killing anything. I don't kill spiders and I just won't kill animals that I'm not going to eat. Right now, my taste for venison over powers the feeling I get when I kill a deer. These feelings are why I can't bring myself to trap even if the animals are a nuisance. I do think I could shoot a coyote if given the chance.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I only shoot lone Does anymore if I shoot one. Doesnt mean her fawns arent nearby. I Have way too much respect for creatures nowadays to be a Jackal. Well, I still hate cats. I giggle at every one that is mangled into Street Loaf along the roads.

Same here Red...I like the challenge of shooting a smart old stray tomcat...no guilt here in shooting one.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't "like" killing anything. I don't kill spiders and I just won't kill animals that I'm not going to eat. Right now, my taste for venison over powers the feeling I get when I kill a deer. These feelings are why I can't bring myself to trap even if the animals are a nuisance. I do think I could shoot a coyote if given the chance.
Just set some snares around little trees then, they'll choke themselves out and you won't have to kill them[emoji38]

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Wtf is going on around here. Is it April 1st already. See that yote in my avitar? I couldn't hardly wait to take pics before I shot that sumbitch. All yotes must die!!!

Last edited: