Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hate watching em

Blan37

SW Ohio
What do kind, gentle, loving men feel when they shoot a deer?? Recoil... :smiley_coolpeace:

Seriously, though, I'm not one who enjoys killing for the sake of killing. I do enjoy harvesting my own food, including things I grow. So unless I become a vegetarian (blech!) then a) something has to die and b) someone has to kill it. I'd rather that someone be me.

Deer have to die some day. I think it's better that I harvest them versus starving to death or getting taken down by illness, yotes or a car and going to waste in a ditch.

Reactions: Wildlife

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The whitetail deer is my favorite animal. I truly enjoy watching an elegant doe, a young confused buck or a majestic giant monarch. I always have a feeling of remorse any time I kill a deer but they do taste good. If you want the good eats you must do the necessary evil to get it.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I don't think any of us here are saying not to kill deer . Its a necessary thing . Man is a hunter , part of hunting and eating is killing . I guess what I'm saying is the last few yrs is I feel remorse and respect after shooting a doe more than excitement . I don't get excited killing does . But if ya wanna eat venison killing does is necessary .
I don't feel the same sympathy when killing a buck , but do have a great deal of respect for them.

Blan37

SW Ohio
We dont harvest deer we kill them.
We harvest crops.
Not a big fan of the PC word harvest instead of killing.

Never really thought about it. That's one of those words I see a lot in blogs and magazines. Pretty easy to get infected with PC crap in this effed up world and not even realize it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I don't like to see deer go down either but, it is what it is. The last 2 seasons I have had just as much fun and enjoyment shooting them with my camera and video on my phone. I still get to have the thrill of the hunt without the mess. Still get to accomplish my goal of outwitting them. Don't get me wrong here, if I get the chance and I want to kill one I will gladly do so. It just takes the right deer at the right time that ends the story of the hunt. Doesn't matter to me the size of the deer but the story that lead to the end.

Some critters I have more respect for and hold in a higher light therefore I have more remorse for when I kill them. Groundhogs, Coons, coyote and a few others are at the bottom and I still respect them for what they are and what they do but to me are towards the bottom of my list.

I remember a few years ago a thread about "trash" animals and the storm that followed that thread lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I enjoy seeing them die when the shot is perfect. The doe I killed during gun season was perfect. I believe she was dead when I hit her. She ran about 40-50yds and died on a full sprint. I believe it was all instinct and reflex more than running wounded. I thoroughly enjoyed watching her fall knowing it was done in 1-3 seconds. It was satisfying. I had set out to kill a large doe. I took aim and made it happen expeditiously. Very rewarding. Respect and thankfulness for what she gave us was offered. There was no remorse. That said I do feel remorse if I put a shot on a squirrel and it makes it into a knot in the tree or doesn't drop to where I can recover it. If I shoot a deer and DON'T see it die, there is a bit of remorse until I find it and discover whether it died quickly or not. I get what you are saying Jake. If you want the meat it is a necessity. Guess I haven't gotten to the point where there is a ton of remorse. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Time will tell.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I've had some heart breaking moments from the stand the worst ever is the time I spined one man it sucked. I couldn't get out of the tree fast enough too put it to rest. I had the soft heart in the deer woods this year myself. I've passed on alot of deer that five years ago I would have shot every one of them if I could. But with getting my kids involved its put a new perspective to my hunting. It's not about killing every deer you get a crack at or killing a booner every year. It's about the time and the memories with my kids. As many have said I hate seeing any animal suffer. I don't care if its a damn mouse. Those glue traps are the most unhumain things I ever seen. It broke my heart watching the little guy struggle in that glue. I hope I never lose the drive but I can understand how it could happen. And if it does you can bet I will be in the stand with a damn good camera

Qback5

I try for a few does each year at the request of a landowner. Last 2 does I shot with a bow took its last few heavy breaths very close to me. I definitely see where there is room for remorse---a life was taken.

I also have tried to wrap my mind more each year around hunting for exactly what it is...life taking. Yes, it's about nature and being outdoors, and yes, it's about comraderie, and more...but those things can occur without a weapon---adding the life taking component makes it unique, so I embrace it for all it is, and I've found it's only added to my respect and admiration of my prey.

I watch ducksduring the spring migration, sometimes having them land all around me...add a firearm during duck season and that same experience goes from neat to an absolute rush! Same thing with deer.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I don't know you well enough Jake to question you on this. Like Phil stated, I've seen an article that chronicled the stages of a hunter and it seems you're in one they discussed. I don't care to see an animal suffer, particularly whitetails. However I can't imagine ever not wanting to kill them. Deer are made of food. Delicious food and that's why I shoot them. I guess if I ever got tired of eating them, I'd stop shooting them. If I ever get tired of bacon, I might... ah fugg that! I'll never get tired of venison OR bacon!!!

Kill on gentlemen.

Great post Jesse! My thoughts exactly.

Deer have to die some day. I think it's better that I harvest them versus starving to death or getting taken down by illness, yotes or a car and going to waste in a ditch.

I think this is a very valid point that is usually where I stand on the subject when I try to explain hunting to non-supportive people. As with any living body the animal will die someday in its life why not let it be for something beneficial in the end. A deer dying alone in the woods of malnutrition/age serves lesser value in life than providing a family with many healthy home cooked meals. I'm not necessarily promoting that we all have to go kill our own food as that is a personal feeling on the subject but I think in general it should be clear to people that we as hunters are gaining a lot more value from the killing of the deer than it rotting in the woods.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I think this is a very valid point that is usually where I stand on the subject when I try to explain hunting to non-supportive people. As with any living body the animal will die someday in its life why not let it be for something beneficial in the end. A deer dying alone in the woods of malnutrition/age serves lesser value in life than providing a family with many healthy home cooked meals. I'm not necessarily promoting that we all have to go kill our own food as that is a personal feeling on the subject but I think in general it should be clear to people that we as hunters are gaining a lot more value from the killing of the deer than it rotting in the woods.

Agreed, but a dead deer never goes to waste. Look at the carcass cam in another thread.

Cephas50

Growing up my best friend was Shawnee and his dad was one of the Elders. I learned a lot from their traditions and it instilled a respect for all life from a very early age. I have no hesitation at all about taking a good shot when I have the opportunity, but I always take a moment for gratitude and perspective. I thank the animal for the gift that their life has given to my family. I thank God for providing that opportunity. I've never enjoyed death, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to take animals that lived free and in their natural habitat. I'm grateful that my kids are growing up with that understanding as well.

• Love