Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bait doesn't lie

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The yellow dot is the bait pile and the blue is a natural blind I setup for my son...and myself. We have a straight 65 yard shot across the woods. I stay out of these woods because deer sometimes bed in there and now with so many ash blow downs, it'll be even better when there's snow. The red is where I hunt. The entire west side is CRP owned by the county and is managed by PF. This area is where the deer predominately come from. especially along the creek in the middle of the pic. I'll continue baiting for my benefit and theirs.
WU.jpg

Last edited:
Cool pics, not to hijack but we put out beets 2 weeks ago and the deer literally walk right past them. Same with turnips when we planted them, forage radishes, and any other "deer magnet". Did you cut the beets up or throw them out whole?

I took a machete and cut them up into pieces. I'm told that they will get hit when it gets cold. We'll see I guess. I've never seen a sugar beet before and I was surprised that some were the size of softballs and that they are white and not red. I had no clue.

Gotta cut them up to get them to start on them. Once they know what they are they love them down there in Ohio. I usually just take a hatchet and split them in half.

buckstar25

T-county
I took a machete and cut them up into pieces. I'm told that they will get hit when it gets cold. We'll see I guess. I've never seen a sugar beet before and I was surprised that some were the size of softballs and that they are white and not red. I had no clue.
Ok, that's what I did because they were so big. We are getting them for 8.00 a bag. Think it's 50lb?? I just cut them up some more because they looked rotten.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The big, tall guy is a regular now. The tall weird rack deer did not show. Add 13 hours for the correct time (I finally remembered to fix that today). They are eating the beets fairly well and demolishing the corn. Hopefully the crappy weather on Monday makes one of the bucks do something stupid for my son in the evening. There are some early morning pics of bucks, but they don't come back in until well after dark. We can only hunt the evenings on Monday and Tuesday.
[video=youtube;OMCKszv1tR8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMCKszv1tR8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The beets I had a few years ago were good. The deer didn't "Smash" them like I thought. They did keep steady eating until gone. They were chopped with a machete and seemed better when it got cold.

Keep after them Mike....something will give shortly.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Was the person in there a few days ago you or a trespasser? I agree with the rest of the gang. Tall dude is impressive as all get out!

One recommendation (which I am sure you already have thought about) CUT down that 1.5" sapling in front of camera! lmao