Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mornings late season

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I usually hunt evenings because it's over bait. When it's real cold outside it seems the deer start moving around 9 am and 1-5 pm sits are pretty productive.

Jal5

Wasnt much moving this morning even with the feeder running. A little doe and a bunch of fat squirrels.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I usually hunt evenings because it's over bait. When it's real cold outside it seems the deer start moving around 9 am and 1-5 pm sits are pretty productive.

that is about what I am thinking too. I pulled cards and most movement is between 3-5pm. Going to get back up a tree this afternoon see what happens! smoker is running now.

buckstar25

T-county
Deer should be moving quite a bit with the cold blast, its the first real "cold" weather we've had. Saw 3 big bucks in a wheat field on my way to our place. That was at 10:30 this morning.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Late season most big bucks are bedded down before dayight and you really run the risk of bumping them.
I would hunt afternoon evenings only but thats just my opinion.
Not sayin you cant kill a good one still but you stand a better chance later in the day.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have found this to be true as well. I will only go in the morning if I know exactly where a buck is bedding...and even then, it will sometimes bite ya in the ass. Evenings for sure, regardless of whether you're hunting over bait or not.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Brian what's your opinion on hunting mornings if you're trying to shoot a doe?
Those does aren't any different than a mature buck as far as pressure. If they know your there, they won't come around, at least not during daylight.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You have an easier chance to kill a doe in the morning over shooting a big buck, but late season i would still hunt evenings only.
If i were still hunting now i myself would ony hunt afternoon evenings.JMO