Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"'s Rabbit season

Rastus

Sounds like you had a workout down south. Glad you had a good day. It's a tough thing to decide when it is time to retire a good old dog. I had a 12 year old male when my current old dog was a pup. He was on the heavy side and moving a little slow when the season opened but it was impossible to sneak out of the house with a shotgun with him around. (He was inconsolable every deer season - wouldn't look me in the eye when I came back at night after leaving him). I thought the better of it but I took him. He got tired after a couple hours and I was taking him back to the truck when he jumped one in the ditch. Watched him run the rabbit through the briars to the top of a steep bank dragging his back legs behind him. I felt terrible. He recovered for the most part though and enjoyed the easy life until age 17.

We hunted in Harrison county on Saturday. Wasn't too good. Rabbits were hard to find. Most of the ones we did jump went straight to a hole. We had two decent chases where the rabbit came back but they were not very long and they were having trouble tracking in places. Not sure what was wrong. We were at the same place a couple weeks ago and they ran all day long. We hadn't shot any there, maybe somebody else has. We did shoot one this time just to remind the dogs what we were out there for.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454263436.601274.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454263517.733701.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454263610.704823.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454263678.526477.jpg

Went out with my buddy Mike and had three good runs with 1 taken by Mike... Pretty warm out and worked up a sweat there for a little bit lol....

All in all not a bad day out in the nice weather....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Heading south tomorrow morning and meeting up with Kaiser and a buddy of his.... Hitting a different piece of property with a CRP on it....

We're also heading too finish looking at a boat that Bonemonger is buying, doing a compression check on the motor and if it works out like I think he'll be a boat owner here shortly.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Awesome stuff!!! That's a sweet little .410 bolt action.

That's my buddies 35.00 .410 bought it off of a guy I worked with that had it sitting in his closet for like 20 years.... Very clean and works flawlessly...... He loves it....

I'll stick with my O/U .410 lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Lol! I think we are doing 6:00 that evening.
Maybe I'll see if Dave wants to take his pup with us to our best farm.

Or I can swing up that way.

Mike, it'd be just easier for me too head your way Saturday morning... As of now it looks like a go....

Just got back from Kaisers place and to quote Zach's buddy " I haven't had this much fun on a Tuesday (with his clothes on) ever" lol I'll post up the day later on when things settle down lol...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well, headed down to Kaisers place again this week and had a great day in some really nice weather.... All in all we had 10 rabbit runs and ended the day with 5 rabbits and some impressive sheds too boot lol....

5 of the 10 rabbits headed too holes, some not as fast though lol.... Like last week the girls had some very long runs and were very tired at the end of the day..... Zach missed the first one as he pulled the trigger the rabbit was cresting the downside of knoll lol and off too the chase it was.... It ran for a couple hundred yards than down a hole it went.... The next three fell too Zach with one of the runs went out of earshot and than made its way back.... Zach's buddy (Brent) pulled up and shot twice (he was using a SxS 20 ga) but missed it as it was in overdrive going by lol.... It went into another thicket and the girls booted it out and in front of Zachs duck/rabbit gun lol.... It fell on his second shot....

The next run was a lot shorter as the rabbit went out and turned quickly and ran out in front of Zach with about a 40 yard shot dropping it....

After that we were pushing a field out and jumped one, the girls were hot on it and it ran by me and it fell too the O/U .410

At that point we were heads back too the trucks and within a 100 yards of them we jumped another one.... Another long run and it made its way back too us and Brent was able too drop it....

On the way around their lease Zach found 3 sheds, two of which were taken by Brent, all were untouched by rodents...... You'd think you were looking at a kid at Xmas when he found them lol.....

Here's the bounty for the day....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454461268.077862.jpg